Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Loaner guns for kids hunts

Seems  every  year there is a need  for rifles in calibers that the kids can shoot . If not for  deer it's usually  for elk. I'm  in a position  where  I have several  guns in various  calibers that I could  make available  for a first come type loaner option.  I was thinking  around  a 4 to 6 week borrow  option.  That would  allow  for proper  time to dial in and get comfortable.  It would  be at no cost to borrow  with the exception  of ammo .

Calibers  I've got.

Tc encore  in 7-08 and 30-06

Savage axis new in 25-06

Savage 10t in 6.5 Creedmoor 

Remington 700 police in 223 for those who  varmint hunt

Ruger hawkeye  in 308

Tikka m695 in 30-06

Ruger m77 mk11 in 300wm

And a ruger in 338 wm for the bigger kids with elk tags.

Ive also got muzzleloaders 

cva wolf 50 cal

tc encore 50 cal

and for the bigger  kids a cva paramount pro in 45cal  its got a anarchy break but is still  stout to shoot. 

Most all have some sort of break with  the exception  of the 25-06 and the 223 scopes go from  basic 3x9 to 4x14 depending. 

These are guns and are for hunting  so if they get a rash it's not going  to hurt my feelings as long  as they are properly  cared for.

TELL ME WHAT  YOU  THINK!!

• Like 6

Are you offering this to people you know or just anyone? Theres lots of good people on here, but theres alot of not so trustworthy people on here as well. To much of a risk, but if you're a risk taker have at it. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Vowell said:

Are you offering this to people you know or just anyone? Theres lots of good people on here, but theres alot of not so trustworthy people on here as well. To much of a risk, but if you're a risk taker have at it. 

The offer  would  be to any member  of cwt. I do understand  the risk but I have yet to have any bad experiences  with  the people  on this site.  Of course  I'd have to come up with  a loan agreement  which  would  state the gun caliber serial# and the duration  it's to be used . A copy of a drivers license  required.  My guns are insured  and if they manage  to not be returned  they would  be reported  to the local authorities  . In the rare case they don't  make it back the insurance  will  pay for the guns.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

The offer  would  be to any member  of cwt. I do understand  the risk but I have yet to have any bad experiences  with  the people  on this site.  Of course  I'd have to come up with  a loan agreement  which  would  state the gun caliber serial# and the duration  it's to be used . A copy of a drivers license  required.  My guns are insured  and if they manage  to not be returned  they would  be reported  to the local authorities  . In the rare case they don't  make it back the insurance  will  pay for the guns.

I hope the best for you on this. Sounds like you have it figured out. 

9 minutes ago, Vowell said:

I hope the best for you on this. Sounds like you have it figured out. 

Still  just kicking  the idea around  . I'm just putting  the feelers  out and seeing  what  the interest  is .

In today's sue happy environment the last thing I'd do is lend my gun to a kid. Regardless of good intentions. Sad it has to be that way but it is what it is. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

In today's sue happy environment the last thing I'd do is lend my gun to a kid. Regardless of good intentions. Sad it has to be that way but it is what it is. 

This is my thoughts as well. I wouldn’t loan to anyone I didn’t know quite well. I understand wanting to help but seems like way too much risk to me…

• Like 1

Pretty awesome of you and cool idea.  I feel like from a legal standpoint you're loaning it to the adult not the minor but it's probably not a terrible idea to at least ask the question to a lawyer.

I would absolutely talk to a lawyer and you should probably make them sign a waiver of liability too.

7 hours ago, Coues247 said:

Exactly.. I believe there was someone who bought a gun from someone on here and killed himself with it minutes later. 50 years ago I would have said go for it.. Now heck no ..

The liability would scare me off. I wish it wasn't like this... but it is. When accidents happen... people always look for someone to blame. 

That I can remember, I've loaned out shooting sticks, binoculars and an action wrench to youths and adult here, never got them back. Nothing I can't do without but I've never had anything returned.

Kent

• Wow! 1

4 hours ago, krp said:

That I can remember, I've loaned out shooting sticks, binoculars and an action wrench to youths and adult here, never got them back. Nothing I can't do without but I've never had anything returned.

Kent

So sad to hear this... I have had great luck on this site so far with purchases, trades and sales. I will definitely be careful about lending anything out after hearing this.