Sign in to follow this  
Nestor

Don’t know what I am doing

Hi all! Met a guy at Putney’s in Tucson and he convinced me to take the leap of faith. However, I have no experience nor equipment to go hunting for the first time. Is there a list someone could provide of what I need to acquire? I’m assuming a pretty hefty upfront cost. Something I have always wanted to get into, might as well start now!

Putneys Street Pub?  If thats still in operation, I was drinking  and eating there over 30 years ago….  No, that would make me old…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Hi all! Met a guy at Putney’s in Tucson and he convinced me to take the leap of faith. However, I have no experience nor equipment to go hunting for the first time. Is there a list someone could provide of what I need to acquire? I’m assuming a pretty hefty upfront cost. Something I have always wanted to get into, might as well start now!

Do you have a rifle and a vehicle? If so then your “started”! If your an archery guy then the same question applies except add bow and subtract rifle. Get a hunting license, draw/buy a tag and then go find deer. Honestly that’s all you need besides a knife. It can get real expensive for sure but I’ve seen guys kill big deer with the bare minimum. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Putneys Street Pub?  If thats still in operation, I was drinking  and eating there over 30 years ago….  No, that would make me old…

Me too.

Sitka camo

Swarovski 12x42nl pure

300 prc from best of the west

Hoyt legacy bow

Crispi boots

Would be a good start. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Nestor said:

You don't mention what you'd like to hunt, most hunters start off hunting small game.  Seasons are generally long.  AZGF's website has a ton of info.  Learn the regulations, take an online hunter education class.  Dove, quail and rabbits abound in the desert.  Get a shotgun, a vest & decent boots then take a walk.

I would second the advice about starting out hunting small game. I think it's the best way to get started in hunting.

18 hours ago, Nestor said:

Have you considered golf?

1st item-Hunter safety course 

2nd item- read and understand the AZ regs

3rd- decide what you want to hunt

4th- apply at the appropriate time for the tag you seek or purchase over the counter tags available to you

5th- scout the area you plan to hunt 

6th- if you spot big Coues deer send me a PM and I guess I’ll make time to go check it out for you, lol

• Like 1

Lots of dove and quail around Tucson area if you start with small game. Plenty of State and BLM land on all sides of Tucson with good access too. 
I am in Vail so go off the highway to Sonoita a lot of places in the Empires and Santa Ritas.