Sam

Cast Iron

Just finished cleaning my dad’s cast iron. He passed away a few months ago and loved cooking on trips, sometimes more than actually hunting. All USA pieces by Wagner, Chicago Hardware Foundry and Lodge. I already have an equal amount or more in my garage. Can a guy have too much cast iron? The wife thinks I need to sell some off. 

IMG_1169.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Nice! Keep your dad's stuff and sell the other 

Keep it all 

• Like 6

Love my cast iron. Cooked a 7# Pork Butt in a Dutch Oven on Wednesday for five hours. Cooked two chicken thighs in a smaller one yesterday and cooked Italian  sausage tonight in a skillet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Love my cast iron. Cooked a 7# Pork Butt in a Dutch Oven on Wednesday for five hours. Cooked two chicken thighs in a smaller one yesterday and cooked Italian  sausage tonight in a skillet.

Years ago my Dad had a Ford pinto. We drove it up near Kearney, to javalina hunt. Dad forgot the crate full of cast iron skillets at home. So  I thought we were screwed. Dad popped all 4 hubcap's off. They where shaped just like bowls, We cooked out of two and ate out of the other two. I swear McGuiver had nothing on my Dad. 😀

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

Try to keep it all. If you can’t convince the boss to keep it then I’d keep my Dads and get rid of the newer stuff. 
we found a bunch of cast iron when my Dad passed. I reconditioned and shared with the kids. Most of it was his parents so really old.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Nice! Keep your dad's stuff and sell the other 

Yes, I think I will add it to all of the other cast iron I have - much of which he gave me as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mocha1545 said:

Try to keep it all. If you can’t convince the boss to keep it then I’d keep my Dads and get rid of the newer stuff. 
we found a bunch of cast iron when my Dad passed. I reconditioned and shared with the kids. Most of it was his parents so really old.

I agree - I think I will just put it in the back corner of the garage - she will never know :) 

• Like 1

When your gone, your family isnt going going to fight over your Faberware, but they will your cast iron. What did you use to reseason them?

On 1/6/2024 at 2:12 PM, 10Turkeys said:

When your gone, your family isnt going going to fight over your Faberware, but they will your cast iron. What did you use to reseason them?

Haha, so true. I just used  some Kosher Salt and a stainless steel scrubber to clean up the inside. I had to use to dish soap in a few spots as well. After rinsing them in hot water, I used vegetable oil to re-season. I used my outside grill and baked them for 30 minutes and then added more oil and baked for another 30 minutes.  My dad used to use Crisco, but I always felt like that was too thick and became gooey if the skillet or oven isn't used often.  I've always just used vegetable oil. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sam said:

Haha, so true. I just used  some Kosher Salt and a stainless steel scrubber to clean up the inside. I had to use to dish soap in a few spots as well. After rinsing them in hot water, I used vegetable oil to re-season. I used my outside grill and baked them for 30 minutes and then added more oil and baked for another 30 minutes.  My dad used to use Crisco, but I always felt like that was too thick and became gooey if the skillet or oven isn't used often.  I've always just used vegetable oil. 

Most any type of cooking oil will work. But the trick  is to use the heck out of it and "overcook" stuff in it regularly.  Get it crusty. Don't be afraid to use a spatula to scrape off chunks of burned on pieces. I'll cook bacon in skillets and dutch ovens just to keep the iron seasoned. Then rinse with hot water and a little dawn. 

Most are going to keep some of their parent’s stuff, especially if it is old.  I had an estate sale on my mom’s house a couple years ago, and I didn’t hesitate on letting the cast iron go, because I had already gotten a couple of pieces of hers several years ago, or acquired older pieces on my own.  Not saying everyone should’nt have a couple pieces, but no point in hoarding post ‘64 Lodge, and other pieces dated afterwards.

Glad to here your going to keep it all, you'll have memories every time you use. Under different circumstances we would of bought it all. Quality iron. God bless and prayers for your father. My wife just lost hers, not easy at all.

• Like 1