Sign in to follow this  
JT1011

Barrel length

Hello ya'll-

I am seeking information on barrel length suggestions for a 308.  I know most game is taken within 150 yards, and i am leaning to a 16/18 in barrel length because of that. 

I plan on sighting it for 200 yards.

Any suggestions would help in my decision.

Another question: What am i looking for in barrel twist? I understand that this is important to perform as a longer barrel, is that correct?

A 20-22" barrel would be more ideal, less muzzle blast. 200 yard sight in is fine just remember about 1.5-2 inches hi at 100 yards. The standard 1-10 twist in the 308 will stabilize normal hunting weight bullets. Twist rate affects bullet spin which is what stabilizes bullet so it will not wobble in flight. Barrel length affects the speed of the bullet at launch. A non stabilized bullet will not be very accurate. Unless you have a reason to run that short a barrel consider the 20-22 inch length.

1 hour ago, AZAV8ER said:

A 20-22" barrel would be more ideal, less muzzle blast. 200 yard sight in is fine just remember about 1.5-2 inches hi at 100 yards. The standard 1-10 twist in the 308 will stabilize normal hunting weight bullets. Twist rate affects bullet spin which is what stabilizes bullet so it will not wobble in flight. Barrel length affects the speed of the bullet at launch. A non stabilized bullet will not be very accurate. Unless you have a reason to run that short a barrel consider the 20-22 inch length.

What he said 👏.  Most 308 are in the 20-22 range . You give up velocity  with a short barrel  and the muzzle flash/ blast is insane  the shorter you go.

• Like 1

I appreciate the insight and response. I might go with a 20in. I can imagine the muzzle blast is intense with the shorter 16in barrel. I have no other reason than weight and comp carry for longer hikes in step elevation.  Plus I cant stand when you get thrown back from getting your barrel caught on a branch when you are moving through the woods lol.

Quote "I know most game is taken within 150 yards"  That statement makes me think that you are not from around here or; that that statement is true in your neck of woods. Here most game is not taken withing 150 yards. Some it is, like Javalina and coyotes. But when you are talking Coues deer, elk, bear and some others, good luck making a 150 yard shot.

Any way welcome and if you scroll down or do a search on 308 in the clasified adds, there was a nice one for sale just like the one you want.

Ernesto C.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

This.

3 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

What he said 👏.  Most 308 are in the 20-22 range . You give up velocity  with a short barrel  and the muzzle flash/ blast is insane  the shorter you go.

This.

9 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Quote "I know most game is taken within 150 yards"  That statement makes me think that you are not from around here or; that that statement is true in your neck of woods. Here most game is not taken withing 150 yards. Some it is, like Javalina and coyotes. But when you are talking Coues deer, elk, bear and some others, good luck making a 150 yard shot.

Any way welcome and if you scroll down or do a search on 308 in the clasified adds, there was a nice one for sale just like the one you want.

Ernesto C.

And this. 

When I get around to re-barreling my 30-06, I'm planning on jumping from a 22" barrel to a 24" or 26" barrel.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Ernesto C.

Agree. In the last 15 or so years my shots on Coues have from 220 yards to 380 yards. Mule deer in my experience have been closer and defiantly inside of 150 yards.

3 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

Agree. In the last 15 or so years my shots on Coues have from 220 yards to 380 yards. Mule deer in my experience have been closer and defiantly inside of 150 yards.

I've taken four Coues from 30 to 216 yards all with rifle, 7Mag. My longest kill on a Mule Deer was about 300 yards but that was way before people used range finders.

Keep in mind that muzzle blast is unburned granules of powder exiting the muzzle ignited by burning gases. Heavy bullets need slower burning powder thus producing more unburned powder granules. Even in a 20 inch barrel the muzzle blast is quite noticeable. 125 to 150 grain bullets are best with 20 inches or less and H4895 or 4895 is about as slow as you can go. And 10 twist will do for 125-150 gr. bullets.

My wife has a 16” 308. Shoots factory 150s chronographed around 2650 fps.

Most bullets have an expansion range requiring a minimum FPS to expand. Starting at 2650fps gets you to the 1800fps floor for a lot of bullets right around 325 yards with 1082ke. Hard to buy a gun knowing it has that kind of a ceiling on it when a 20” barrel has none of those issues. 

That being said, the gun was used to kill a cow elk at around 310 yards and worked fine. 

16 or 18" if you plan to suppress it and keep it manageable for hunting. 20-24" if you are not going to suppress it.