Sign in to follow this  
newbee

.243 or .308

Im gettin a new rifle and its a toss up between a .243 and .308-Cant afford both so ones gonna have to do for a wile .

any thoughts,or differ cal. and why?

my reason for the two above is ,im a fan of both and the ballistics are verry close on factory ammo except im pushin more weight w/ the later.

Quickly I would say the .308. Both are great choices and will have fans here on CWT.com.

One that I have been day dreaming about is the 7-08 in a Ruger compact. I like the idea of a small, light rifle for long hikes in the hills. The 7-08 has some impressive balistics, a higher .BC and Hornady makes the 7-08 in the light-mag version keeps that short action par with the 30-06. It might be another option while you get to go out and buy a new toy!

:D

Newbee,

What will the uses of the rifle be? What chamberings do you already have? Do you handload? Are you recoil sensitive? Do you handload? Are you limiting yourself to these two headstamps only? Budget constraints?

Doug~Red Rabbit

Newbee,

The .243 will give you a little less drop than the .308, about 1.5 inches at 300 yards. But the .308 will give a lot more energy. I would go with the .308, then you could also use it for elk with a heavier bullet. It would also give you a better chance on a marginal coues hit.

Bowsniper

i have killed elk with my 308, with no problem, if it was between only those two i would say the 308 because you have a lot of options as far as ammo. if it is not just those two i would consider the 30-06 that is what i shoot and there are also a lot of optiions with that, i can shoot anywhere between 125 gr and 180 gr. good luck with what ever you go with!

My retired my 243 from whitetail hunting because it I had two heart lung shots run 100 yards before dropping. I went to a light weight 270 for more whack power to give them some extra shock of getting hit. My old 06 use to drop them in their tracks. I had two drop in their tracks with the 243 but they were neck shots. I would take the 308 over the 243.

well newbee i have to ask, are just going coues hunting? or could there be an elk hunt in there also.if just coues than the .243 would be ok.but if you add elk i would look closer at the .308,if i would make a sugestion to you i would think about mybe the .270 also.just a thought, good luck to you.its a hard choice.to much to consider

I killed my first two coues with a .243. Both of them dropped in their tracks. My brother has killed 2 coues with his .243. I shot my coues between 150-250 yards, my brother shot his at 80 and around 400 yards. He shot the one at 400yards in the left eyeball (accidentally). I told him to hold high. I guess he did. Both of his deer dropped in their tracks.

I took my last coues with a 7mm WSM. It took about 10 steps after blowing through both shoulders at 370yards.

The .243 will do the job, but keep the distances reasonable. It just doesn't carry the energy out as far as the 7mm or .30 calibers. Thats why I changed to the 7mm.

I don't know if this helps. Either gun is a good choice for coues.

thanks for all the responce so far- most of my decision is based on affordability,(ammo incl.) balistics, handling ,and at least a good selection of different bullets. Im a fan of short action rifles -

recoil dosent bother me much with in reason-

I dont reload yet .Ive yet to be drawn for Elk (one day:rolleyes: )but that would be a nice factor to add in on my sales pitch toMAMA

I like your kind of thinking Ernesto!

:rolleyes:

I have an H&R single shot in .243 that shoots darts. I bought this gun for $219.00 last year thinking it would be a gun to just throw in the truck and get beat up, but so far this thing can shoot. I have it topped with a burris fulfield II 4.5-14 ballistic plex. I shot a thick soaked phone book with it at 300 yards and the exit hole was about three inches in diameter, plus the bullit went through the three inch mesguite tree behind the book. I never did retreive the bullit. The recoil is so light that you will enjoy shooting the .243 during extended shooting practice. The nice thing about this rifle is that you can send in the reciever and order more barrels for $79.00 a piece. I bought the .223, .243, .270, and a .50cal muzzle loader. And at only five pounds you won't mind hiking those extra miles. David

http://www.hr1871.com/

270 WSM. It's chambered using a short action, rifles are inexpensive for some models like the Winchester Shadow at WalMart, ammo is diverse and plentiful, and it's a flat shooter for coues (almost to 270 Weatherby velocities) and will work well on that upcoming elk hunt with appropriate bullets.

Doug~Red Rabbit

Both great calibers, my two favorites, BUT without a doubt I would pick the 308. You have a lot more grain options so you aren't limited to game you hunt (My wife and a friend have taken a combined 7 for 7). For coues deer, the 243 can be questionable as the yards get stretched and although the 308 may drop more, you can be as dead on as you practice for a looooong ways! That's why it is used as a military sniper caliber. Good luck with your choice and most of all, learn to shoot your gun well and make those shots count.