Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Suppressed shooting

Got to test out my cans finally. My 45 is just like the movies. Insanely quite. My AR's were a major improvement. 

What i dont like is the ridiculous amount of cleaning afterwards. I've been cleaning guns for the last four hours! Is there better way to clean? I still go old school with Hoppes, Scrub, q tips, patches, etc. If seen the CLP spray, but is it really a one shot deal? 

I would Buy a small sonic cleaner for your bolts and your cans at least. Also run more than usual oil on your bolts because of the extra gas and fouling.

• Like 1

Hoppes isn't much of a cleaning agent. It smells good more than anything. Step up your solution, for sure. 

• Like 1

First time I put my can on my ar15 last year it was about  what you  describe  after shooting  . Lots of crud in everything  ! Probably  going  to look  at a low backpressure type can for the ar and really  pay attention  to adjusting  the gas system and see if it helps  . Don't  forget  the mags mine were black from the gasses blowing  back thru the action.  Bolt guns are so much  cleaner. 

• Like 1

What cans, and do your ARs have adjustable gas blocks? If so you can adjust them so you get them less gassy. 

They do get dirtier with a can, but it is still worth it. I use brake cleaner first to flush a bunch of the crud. Then I get it wet with a spray CLP and use a brass brush to break up alot of the remaining gunk. 

It isn't to bad to clean them once tou do it a few times as long as you are not one of the people who is crazy about it and wants it super clean. 

Also, don't use brake cleaner on plastic parts, it can melt them. The upper receiver and bolt are what I use the brake cleaner on mostly. 

7 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

What cans, and do your ARs have adjustable gas blocks? If so you can adjust them so you get them less gassy. 

They do get dirtier with a can, but it is still worth it. I use brake cleaner first to flush a bunch of the crud. Then I get it wet with a spray CLP and use a brass brush to break up alot of the remaining gunk. 

It isn't to bad to clean them once tou do it a few times as long as you are not one of the people who is crazy about it and wants it super clean. 

Also, don't use brake cleaner on plastic parts, it can melt them. The upper receiver and bolt are what I use the brake cleaner on mostly. 

I built all mine with  adjustable  blocks . Once tuned they are the sh$t. The guns just cycle  with out  being hard on everything  and they help with  felt recoil  .

Try Shooter's Choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner. Just spray and watch the crud come out. I spray two or three times till foam comes out clean. If you use brake cleaner, use the non-chlorinated stuff. Bore Tech also has a new cleaner for cans.