Crazymonkey

So how much of a pig do you take?

I can't hardly believe they left the liver. What a waste.

• Haha 7

Gutless for sure. I have done both. It just depends on how far I am from camp, time of day etc but now that I'm in my 70's I find it easier to pack out 15# of meat than  a gutted Javi. Back in the early 90's I shot a Mule Deer in New River just below Table Mesa, maybe 50' from the top shooting from the flats below. I was hunting solo and packed out three quarters, loins, neck meat and the head in one trip about a mile back to camp and that was tough. I was in my early 40's and in top shape.

A few years later on a late hunt in 29 I shot a 3x3 WT maybe a mile from camp but I was 1500' above it. I decided then that I wasn't taking any bones and boned the whole thing out and decided I had enough meat and there wasn't anything in the cavity I wanted. My first gutless method long before anyone coined it. I also did a Bear and a Caribou  the same way  way back then.

The Doc hasn't given me the long face yet but I'm not fooling myself and hope I have another ten or so years left of big game hunting.

• Like 3

We are splitting hairs on quarters taken but I see part of the front quarter and hind quarter still on the pig.  But I'd still say "close enough" but not technically legal imo.  I wouldn't turn them in over it but they definitely wasted some meat imo 

Looks legal. Me none of it. Thats why I don't hunt them any more..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oz31p said:

For the record. …javelina are not pigs 

Yes they are! 

Collard Pickerie , sumpton like tat.. Dessert rat.

Javelina are not pigs. They look similar, but pigs are from the "Old World" and peccary are "New World" animals. There are many other differences most having to do with differences in physical anatomy. Adult females can give birth at anytime of the year.

peccary, (family Tayassuidae), any of the three species of piglike mammal found in the southern deserts of the United States southward through the Amazon basin to Patagonian South America (see Patagonia).Jan 7, 2024

Nope you are all wrong, they are pigs. That's why we all call them pigs. So Oz, wild wood, hoof, your telling me you never called a peccary a pig? Be honest!

11 hours ago, Couzer said:

Looks like the gutless method like Casey was saying. Educate yourself and look it up, it's the only way to go. 

Yeah if you like to waste 

28 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

Hawk, I never killed one for that reason. 

11 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

There really isn't much waste on a gutless method.

Take the rib meat, take the tenderloins, and go all the way up the neck for the roasts and there isn't much of anything left. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

There really isn't much waste on a gutless method.

Take the rib meat, take the tenderloins, and go all the way up the neck for the roasts and there isn't much of anything left. 

I agree if you do that then yes there isn’t much waste,but 90 percent of people don’t take the rib meat or tenderloin and usually leave a lot of neck meat for some reason when doing that method, I always gut everything and get that heart out and it’s easier to get the tenderloins if you gut it in my opinion

• Like 3