Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

Fish stockings

Has anyone noticed the absence of fish stockings by the game and fish. Me and my father were talking while fishing up at Horseshoe . He was saying they  only  stocked the valley lakes twice and last time was in December. And the birds eat most of them when they hit the water so half gone.and 1 catfish stocking all year.  And there much smaller. I noticed up here at Green valley lake has a month gap between stocking. So we were told smaller keep limet of 4 and bigger fish. Haven't noticed bigger fish yet. Thoughts 

20 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Has anyone noticed the absence of fish stockings by the game and fish. Me and my father were talking while fishing up at Horseshoe . He was saying they  only  stocked the valley lakes twice and last time was in December. And the birds eat most of them when they hit the water so half gone.and 1 catfish stocking all year.  And there much smaller. I noticed up here at Green valley lake has a month gap between stocking. So we were told smaller keep limet of 4 and bigger fish. Haven't noticed bigger fish yet. Thoughts 

I don't know where your father fishes in the valley but according to the AZGFD website they have done plenty of stocking in the valley since December and the places that were scheduled and didn't get stocked the reason was given, mostly Golden Algae and access issues.  Catfish stockings don't start until April and it looks like there are plenty planned.  If you're talking the Urban fish those are purchased from an outside vendor and the ones I've seen stocked seem to be pretty decent size. As for the cormorants eating fish I guess that's just the cost of doing business, they are protected federally so nothing the AZGFD can do about that.

They’ve been stocking in the show low area all month….some bigger fish too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

I don't know where your father fishes in the valley but according to the AZGFD website they have done plenty of stocking in the valley since December and the places that were scheduled and didn't get stocked the reason was given, mostly Golden Algae and access issues.  Catfish stockings don't start until April and it looks like there are plenty planned.  If you're talking the Urban fish those are purchased from an outside vendor and the ones I've seen stocked seem to be pretty decent size. As for the cormorants eating fish I guess that's just the cost of doing business, they are protected federally so nothing the AZGFD can do about that.

The birds , not sure what there biological names are but there fish eating, and yes he could chase the stock truck around. He's 82 and has noticed the difference, butt they also say crime is way down . Lol thanks for the web sight.

3 hours ago, wildwoody said:

The birds , not sure what there biological names are but there fish eating, and yes he could chase the stock truck around. He's 82 and has noticed the difference, butt they also say crime is way down . Lol thanks for the web sight.

Cormorant. 

• Like 1

Ya and them big blue Hearing birds. There were like 25 of them fish eating suckers

1 minute ago, My Rights As An American said:

They even look evil!

We were at Luna Lake one day with grand kids and could hear this crazy loud noise up above us on the little ridge by the dam so we went up to check it out!

Big old Ponderosa Pine tree had like 20 of those big birds up there!

We did some reading about them and supposedly if they feel you are intruding their nesting area they will puke all over you 😳

15 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I had to laugh cause look what was on the front of the white mountain independent today 😂

IMG_9448.jpeg

There had been a race for naturalists to name the various subspecies, totalling over 40 birds. Our friend Dr Coues was hot in the chase... 

Screenshot_20240327_062337_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb68f3096d2eb7630471bcf484867d89.jpg