Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Anyone else freeze drying?

These machines keep getting better and less expensive as time goes on.  I just did 3 dozen eggs from our hens the other day.  Yesterday honey crisp apples were on sale for $0.88 /lb so I did 12 lbs of apples. The best thing about FD is we now only buy stuff that’s a great deal on sale and FD it.  Saves fridge space too.

Longer term storage kept in mylar bags, everyday stuff kept in quart jars in pantry. 

IMG_9275.jpeg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Can you freeze dry whole meals like mountain house? 

Yes you can.  I’m going to be doing some chili mac one of these days 

• Like 1

Very cool, what brand and what machine do you have? What machine would you recommend now that you have hands on experience with this? Been thinking about getting one.

You can freeze dry raw eggs. Crack them in a bowl, whisk them together, pour into trays and freeze dry. When done put in a food processor and pulverize them into a powder and store. 2 tbsp of egg powder equals 1 egg. Rehydrate at equal parts egg/water. For instance if you wanted a 3 egg omelette, put 6 tbsp of powder and 6 tbsp of water in a bowl. It will turn back into a regular looking egg and you wouldn’t even know its freeze dried.  Then cook it. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, Couzer said:

Very cool, what brand and what machine do you have? What machine would you recommend now that you have hands on experience with this? Been thinking about getting one.

I have a Harvest Right Pro Medium size. The pro is newest model with heavier duty parts and comes with premier pump.   Harvest right has been great and gave me a bunch of free accessories for being patient during the 3 week back order

This is a good video that describes the different in models.  So far no complaints 

IMG_9284.jpeg

• Like 1

We've been doing whole meals for a couple months now. They turn out pretty good. My daughter has celiac, so finding a place she can eat on the road can be a pain. Now we take FD meals on the road and good to go. My kids love grapes, strawberries and pineapples as a treat.

• Like 6

Looking into this, I have dehydrated quite a bit.

This is the way. My neighbor got one a year ago and we’ve been trying out things ever since! 

for freeze dried meals I highly recommend looking into the bags you can add boiling water to.. there’s a ton of options but we found one that works on Amazon .. made in ‘Mercia too.

pro tip for pasta is you need to basically overcook it so that it rehydrates well, but these meals are as good as they were fresh.

enjoy that thing!

• Like 1

My nephew bought a big freeze dryer a few years ago, mainly for veggies.   He has since partnered with someone in the Route 66 tourist trade and he does freeze dried candy (Skittles, sweet tarts, gummy bears).   His partner packs them and has them placed in tourist stops along Route 66.  Kids go crazy for them and they’re making a killing. 😂   He assumes the candy fad will pass….   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stanley said:

My nephew bought a big freeze dryer a few years ago, mainly for veggies.   He has since partnered with someone in the Route 66 tourist trade and he does freeze dried candy (Skittles, sweet tarts, gummy bears).   His partner packs them and has them placed in tourist stops along Route 66.  Kids go crazy for them and they’re making a killing. 😂   He assumes the candy fad will pass….   

What kind of FDA hoops does he have to jump through at the retail level?