Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Brake/Suppressor Thread's

With a brake I imagine more people never take them off. Now with that said,  do those of you who have a suppressor put anything on the threads like maybe anti-seize, CLR etc?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

With a brake I imagine more people never take them off. Now with that said,  do those of you who have a suppressor put anything on the threads like maybe anti-seize, CLR etc?

I am newer to the suppressor game, but no I don't. My cans are all steel along with my barrel threads though. I also don't leave them on my rifles. If I did I might use some antiseize. 

You don't want them loosening up though so I would be cautious about what you used. Loose suppressor = baffle strike potential. 

Most guys are running a quick detach system these days with their cans so you get the best of both worlds while protecting your threads. But if you go direct thread I just degrease the threads on the barrel and suppressor. This helps keeping it from walking off unintentionally. 

1 minute ago, Hoss50 said:

I am newer to the suppressor game, but no I don't. My cans are all steel along with my barrel threads though. I also don't leave them on my rifles. If I did I might use some antiseize. 

You don't want them loosening up though so I would be cautious about what you used. Loose suppressor = baffle strike potential. 

And a loose suppressor = inconsistent accuracy 

• Like 1

It's probably been 15 years since I took my brake off, maybe even 20.  Took it off, cleaned the threads and put some Kroil on the 28x1/2 threads. Put it back on.

• Like 1

I've been  setting  some of my guns up with  silencerco  asr breaks so I can quickly  move the can around  and still have a break on the guns if I choose  to shoot them without  the cans . I do run some antiseize  on the cleaned threads so it doesn't  carbon lock  on my direct thread can and check tightness  every few  shots . I watched a guy send his new can for a ride down  range when  it got locked  up.  He loosened  the quick  detach and proceeded  to shoot thru it not locked on . Picked it up at the 25yd line . Probably  not good for the baffles  and the outside finish took a beating. 

I Rocksett my qd muzzle devises to my rifles since Loctite will burn off. I use YHM qd devices so no need for anything on the qd threads. I've never had an issue with a suppressor coming loose. The only direct thread suppressor I will have is for my 8.6 but that suppressor is in jail still so no personal experience with direct thread.

8 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I've been  setting  some of my guns up with  silencerco  asr breaks so I can quickly  move the can around  and still have a break on the guns if I choose  to shoot them without  the cans . I do run some antiseize  on the cleaned threads so it doesn't  carbon lock  on my direct thread can and check tightness  every few  shots . I watched a guy send his new can for a ride down  range when  it got locked  up.  He loosened  the quick  detach and proceeded  to shoot thru it not locked on . Picked it up at the 25yd line . Probably  not good for the baffles  and the outside finish took a beating. 

My son and I were at the G&F Expos a few years ago and he paid a vendor a few bucks to shoot a full auto in 5.56 and halfway through the mag the suppressor  blew off and went about 30' downrange.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, azbow said:

What brand of antiseize and where do you get it?

I get it from  my work  it's high temp stuff . You can find it at most auto part stores 

A little  goes along  way .

i asked a question about the suppersor locking  and Crazy Monkey reccomended antiseize and i got this one on Amazon

Loctite.jpg

• Like 1

I am running a SR muzzle brake for my TBAC 338 ultra. 
the brake is red located on. 
I can pull the can off in seconds and not worry about my brake coming off. 

I put anti seize on mine. Unless you're running full auto or doing a bunch of mag dumps, the  type you use doesn't matter. I typically use Molykote G-n since it's what i use for installing barrels too. I tighten the adapter on with a dowel through it. I use a strap wrench on the can 

It doesn't come loose unless i want it to. The cheapest stuff you can get is fine. 

20240412_135715.jpg