Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

lion pictures

Dad, Andy and I took off Tues around 9PM and drove non-stop till around 4PM on Wednesday. We drove close to 400 miles and never cut one dang lion track. Bummer but we all had a good time hanging out with each other. They went back out the next morning and cut a track in the snow and treed this female not long after.

post-3-1234714651_thumb.jpg

Wanting a tom they let her go. They continued to look all day and eventually found a tom track and a huge cow elk it had just recently killed. So they showed back up the following morning only to find out the tom hadn't been back yet. After some extensive searching they finally found the track again and eventually caught up with it nearly 15 crow flyin miles from the kill..... Amazing!! Hap put it to the lion again but only because of Dad's knowledge of lions and their capabilities.

post-3-1234714812_thumb.jpg

post-3-1234714892_thumb.jpg

Any guesses on the weight of this lion?

Maybe TREESTANDMAN will keep his phone on next time cause this lion could've been his............. OUCH!!!

GREAT pictures and nice recap.

Keep after them predators.

Hey Josh a big congrats to you guys and your pack of dogs! Thats a great looking cat. I talked with Mike yesterday and he's feeling pretty sick right now!!!

As he should.....

I know nothing about lions, but that one looks pretty darn big!! Thanks for sharing some cool pictures!!

Wow! Whopper of a cat- I'm no expert either, but looking at the head and claws- he looks REAL big!

Thanks for sharing!

AzP&Y

Doug

I'll guess his weight at about 150-160, hows that pup that Andy got from Cooper doing?

I went out and bought a new cell phone the next day so I can keep it with me all the time. The one I had was too big and blocky to carry with me everywhere. That is a huge lion!!! I'm still hurtin that someone else got to hunt and harvest that cat, but praying my turn will come pretty soon!! Congrats on an incredible lion!!

Mike

"Extensive knowledge" and "lucky guess" are one and the same phrase.

We got lucky guessing where he was headed as he was down real real low and two days ahead of us. We jumped 8 miles on a hunch and there he was, now only a day ahead. We jumped 3 more miles and beyond my belief, found where he scratched under a big pinon tree. From then on, Andy pretty much did all the work. We lost him two hours before sundown but felt like we had him within a square mile. Our "hail Mary" shot was for Andy to angle across for that mile and see if God would just hand us this lion on a platter.

Well, Andy only went half the distance and hit the track again. He was laid up somewhere nearby and the two dogs with him, Bonnie AKA "Nipples" and Hap caught the lion real quick.

The most fun for me, other than watching the dogs work, progress or screw up, is seeing other people get real excited about the events we are trying to unravel.

Sounds like a blast!!! That's one bad Tom cat :o !!! I'll guess 170lbs.

It was an awesome couple of days. Congrats to the hunter for a great lion!!!

post-192-1234731277_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234731309_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234731337_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234731367_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234727667_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234727763_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234728039_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234728117_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234728193_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234728318_thumb.jpg

post-192-1234728394_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and the story. Hopefully it will be your turn next time Mike, take care.

I'm thinking weight wise 110 max In 40 years the heaviest lion that I ever caught, since I weighed it was 155. Guts and all. That was just a couple weeks ago. I do hear of 200 lb lions though. I think the next closest was 151 and then really down hill from there. Mostly 100 lbs avg on the adult males and 65-70 on females. I have never caught what I hear called, "a typical 90 lb. female" but there are a whole lot of guys that have seen more lions than I have.