Non-Typical Solutions

Good Idea or Not

While I was more that excited about the idea of the over the counter youth turkey tag and bought one for my own boy, I got a dose of anti-youth over the counter tags from one of my friends.

What does everybody think? Is it very wise for the G$F to just sell prime turkey tags over the counter like that? What about the chance of seriously hurting the turkey population? I put in for spring turkey and rarely get drawn and then turn it into an over the counter tag????

Some of the questions thrown at me in a discussion, personally I really enjoyed getting to take my boy out and even though he did not harvest a turkey he is hooked on the hunt.

Good idea or not?

Tried to set up the poll thing but failed :(

I see both sides of the coin, but having an 11 year old boy who will hunt anything at the drop of the hat, I am of course favoring any youth opportunities we can get. I've had the same conversation with several others (being for and against the over the counter youth turkey tags) and one interesting idea came from one of them. My wife drew a turkey tag this Spring that starts this Friday and will be able to hunt side by side with my son for the first time. What about having youth tags available to those whos parents/guardians drew? If a middle ground needs to be found, this could be a viable option, but there could be arguments to this thought as well.

Joe Kauffman

I LOVE the idea! The juniors aren't out there whackin all the turkeys on the mountain. Great way to get kids involved.

I think it is a great idea, if the success rats are up (mandatory reporting would sure help), they can choose a different way to get the kids out there next year. I wonder how many total tags were purchased for these hunts.

We had over 40 kids at the youth camp in 23 and 11 killed birds--all of the birds were either Jakes or two year old birds. There were a ton of birds out there and i can tell you the kids didn't have a chance. If you know how to hunt turkey then you shouldn't worry about it because you will get your bird.

If you have some kind of pain over this then you need to remember back when you were a kid and maybe you will see it a different way.

The way I see it, we MUST do all that we can to get more kids out in the field. I'm not woried in the least about to many birds being shot. I hope they continue to do it in the future and if that means they need to take more tags out of the draw then take more tags out of the draw.

I completely agree. This is not a gimme hunt for the kids. I don't think they'll put a dent in the flock. My boy had a lot of fun last weekend, I hope they do it again next year.

I don't like the idea of only kids whose parents or legal guardians have drawn to be able to purchase over the counter tags. I think the whole idea of the over the counter tags is to recruit young people into hunting. The kids whose folks have drawn tags are going to be exposed to hunting and outdoor activities anyway. Maybe at some point the number of tags available will need to be looked at. But if someone wants to take his nephew or niece or friends kid whose parents don't hunt, I don't think these kids should be locked out because their parents didn't get drawn or because their folks choose not to hunt.

I don't like the idea of only kids whose parents or legal guardians have drawn to be able to purchase over the counter tags. I think the whole idea of the over the counter tags is to recruit young people into hunting. The kids whose folks have drawn tags are going to be exposed to hunting and outdoor activities anyway. Maybe at some point the number of tags available will need to be looked at. But if someone wants to take his nephew or niece or friends kid whose parents don't hunt, I don't think these kids should be locked out because their parents didn't get drawn or because their folks choose not to hunt.

I have to agree with that. Let's get the kids out there and have a great time. We who have done this for years have to get these kids out there and get them interested in this hunting. I've heard that there are those who don't like this because it puts presure on the area that they have scouted and now there are a bunch of hunters in the field. Give the kids a break and chill out. :)

TJ

I'd have to say the lasting memories and bonds you build when hunting with your kids is WAY more important [and for me FUN], than doing my usual solo hunting. My boy will remember and share our adventures for the rest of his life - above all other youthful events... the same way I still recollect the handful of hunts [ all without harvest ], I conducted with my dad.

I dont care that I didnt draw a tag - a bird for my boy is a trophy, but the chance to be together is a blessing.

Hi,

I have to agree. I would rather have my kids hunt, then myself. Those hunts are some of my favorite memories. My son drew four youth deer tags back when the fish and game put them in the middle of the adult hunts. Made it much harder than my daughter's early october hunt last year, but we still filled each tag. He does't hunt now but I hoping he will get back into it.

I think that even though the some animals will get killed, as each kid grows older, they will start enjoying the idea of passing up young animals for more mature ones. We could always go to like a three point rule and let the kids shoot spike, etc.

Brent

Anything to get more youths involved and keep their enthusiasm up is great. My son got a turkey this last weekend and had a great time. It is a great time to be outdoors and if your like me its just as exciting to watch my son harvest a bird than myself. Because the only difference is that I'm not pulling the trigger!

OMG!!! :rolleyes:

I am sorry but I Gotta say this! :blink: I would give up spring turkey hunting in this state for the rest of my life if they keep letting the kids hunt OTC!!!!! I can easilly hunt in other states for birds, but for a family to travel out of state for a dangged old yard bird would be out of reach for most. It blows me away when adults have a "Me, Me, Me!" attitude vs. their kids or any kids!!! <_< Youth turkey and pig hunts are the very best kids programs out there IMO.... Every turkey and pig taken by kids is a trophy and there is no adult ego's involved in harvesting pigs and turkeys! ;) These are low stress hunts that have high impact on the future hunters! This OTC deal is one of the finest progams I have seen AZGF ever do for our kids and although my boys are to old to benifit from it I still love it! The success rate for these kids is fairly low, like Terry said about 25% in camp, but I know of atleast a half dozen more that struck out on birds this weekend as well.... So I don't think they slaughtered the population by any means... :rolleyes: Any adult that would feel wounded by kids have the first crack at all the birds is just being selfish...IMO. There is a big difference between buying a tag and ground checking a bird.... but a Grand Time was had by every kid that went out as best as I have heard!! That is Priceless!!! ;)

OTC youth turkey tage? heck of an idea. From what I have seen on my outings there are plenty of turkeys to go around for the kids and adults alike.

Anybody that is against the youth over the counter tag is a selfish ahole...plain and simple.

Me and a couple of friends went hunting this weekend. One friend had his son, the other friend had his nephew, I went with my two sons (one 12 and the other 5), two youth hunter tagged out (my son did not) but we saw a ton of elk, deer, coyote and turkeys. It was a great time, my five year old saw many "Jedi Turkeys" and has been talking about it every day.

Maybe its just me, but come on....it a dang turkey! Does any adult scout for a "record book turkey"?

Redman