CHD

AZ Governor's Tag Coues Buck 1994

I may be misinformed, but I believe this buck was taken in 1994 on the auction tag. This is Stephen Walker with a super duper Coues buck. Dunno who guided him or where (maybe one of you can fill in the blanks???). I've had these pics in my album for a decade. In fact.........these pics sparked my interest in Coues deer.

What a whopper of a buck and a beautiful animal! Coues deer, IMHO, are the most beautiful of all North American deer, without a doubt. This one is quite handsome. I would be ecstatic if I took one like this! What a great game animal and fascinating deer.

AZGov1994-1.jpg

AZGov1994-2.jpg

On another note, this is my first Coues buck taken in January 1998 on the San Carlos 26A. I stayed in Globe and drove in every day. Check out his neat winter coat with long guard hairs. My schedule that year caused me to apply for one of my VERY few non-public-land hunts. I paid $900 for the tag. Amanda (when she worked for the tribe) sent me to Hog Mtn for a 90" buck. I saw one early on, and passed on a 400 yard shot while he was moving. I took this buck at the end of the hunt, and was very happy with my first Coues buck.

He scores 23 6/8 B & C, with great 7" main beams and and a fantastic 8" spread. I think I should have him officially measured for the AZ record book, don't you all, LOL? Still, a beautiful animal.

scan0004.jpg

This is the spot where I whacked him. I surely love the AZ desert country and the unique vegetation.

scan.jpg

That top coues is a monster, but CHD I would be very happy with the one you took also, great picture of the desert. That same area probably has a lot more green in it right now.

Thanks for getting us ready and excited for the up coming draw!!!

:(

Treestandman, check out Dan King's site,(king guide service) there is alot of toads in there :(

Just found this pic in one of my albums. This is a pickup from a unit adjoining the San Carlos that scores 124"!!!

The Coues rack ain't too bad either!

Just kidding, couldn't resist the humor. The lady is actually a good friend of mine, and she is just a nice, georgeous, sweetheart of a lady as well as a super duper hunter with many trophy AZ animals to her credit. But, this rack is indeed a pickup.

Billie.jpg

That rack was found by Brain Marshall from Payson back in the early 90's. From what I remember, he had seen the deer pre-season and when he got a chance to get after him he never could find him. It seems as if he said he went lion hunting thru that same area and trailed one right to the kill and was BUMMED when he found that it had killed that buck he was after. Grossed 131" I think. My buddy Alan owns it now.

Josh

Has anybody seen the "WORLD RECORD COUES WHITETAIL" video that they refer to on Dan King's website? I love how they have live photos of that beast with the kill shots. I couldn't imagine seeing a buck like that in the wild.

CHD,

Nice buck, maybe next time you will hold out for a 24 or 25 inch buck(just kiddin)

Haven't seen the king video of his big buck but it is not the world record. There is a 196 2/8 net non typ. that was taken on the SanCarlos in the sixties and recently entered and recognized as the W.R. The King buck had alot of controversy and fishy stuff that apparantly could never be proven but I guess the guy has it back fom the G&F and he is again the proud owner of the giant, however the circumstances shaked out. CHD you prolly know more about that than I do. Never understood the SCI thing and wish people would quit referencing it.