Sign in to follow this  
TREESTANDMAN

Sucess Spring Turkey

I shot my first Tom on Saturday w/ my bow. I clucked him in from a hundred yards away or so and hit him at 40 yards running shot. My arrow destroyed one lung and went through the gut. The beard is 8" long. Spring turkey has become one of my favorite hunts now, what a blast!!! The Gobblers are going nuts.

Awesome job on the turkey!!!

My boy and I were out in unit 23 (shotguns, not bows...) on his first turkey hunt this past weekend. We didn't get one, but had quite an adventure none the less. :D I went on my first spring turkey hunt last year, and I agree that it is a blast!!!! Hopefully some day I'll be accomplished enough with stick & string to try one with my bow...

S.

I was hunting with Treestandman over the weekend and must confess that I gave him a truck load of crap about using his bow! I even brought my extra 12 guage up to camp with me so he could use it cuz I knew there was no way he was going to put an arrow in one of them sneaky critters. He tagged out in 20 minutes Saturday morning and had turkeys gobbling all over the place while my other buddy and I hiked the entire mountian without hearing or seeing a single turkey! I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and again! Congrats Mike.

Right on Treestandman........ Turkey with a bow :D Must have been a rush :D

We were in 23 this weekend and went three for three. Friday at 5:40 and 6:20 am. And saturday at 8:00. I will send pictures to Amanda. This was the 5th. turkey tag I had and my first tom. It was the most exciting hunt I've been on. They were going crazy. Love sick boy's. Who'd think. Then the rain came. Made a mess of the road coming out and I know it is going cost a lot at the car wash. It is going to be tasty. Good luck everyone else.

Congrats to you on the success in unit 23. Treestandman and Avion can you post some pics of your turkey.

Congrats on the unit 23 birds Avion! Can't wait for the pics! We got into them in 23, but the birds we were into seemed to be sticking close to their hens.... We had a VERY sloppy ride out on Sunday morning as well. :D

We'll be heading back up in a couple of weeks.

S.

:D

Congratulations to y'all getting your drumsticks in 23.

A gobbler responded to the owl hooter at dawn, but I knew a guy and his daughter were right there as they roosted it. Several minutes later, a shotgun blast echoed through the draw. Saturday evening I chased a gobbler between the hail storms til dark, but did not hear him again Sunday in the windy morning air. Got to within maybe 100 yards of a gobbler near camp a few hours later, but he was not seduced by my calling.

Back to unit 17 next weekend. Calling turkeys is as fun as calling bugling elk. The fact that you hear gobbling or bugling allows for a two way interaction and heightens the game.

Doug

Congrats on the birds! we went 2 fer2 in 6A as well. hunterdude thanks for the info- we didn't take them from the area you were talking about but I appreciate you offering. I'll send you some pics. My buddy took one off the roost while I boogered one up. Went back to camp and cleaned his bird and we went back out mid morning. Outstanding hunt! We packed up and beat the storm back to town.

treestandman- I don't think I have steady enough nerves to take one with a bow. Good work!