Hey 25-06,

What unit did you take that monster buck in last year? Did you mount him?

TREESTANDMAN, Dude you have got to be kiddin right ;) Of course I mounted him, I just tell everyone it's a jackalope.

I Shot one also that would score a little bit lower than yours. Most tender steaks I've ever had! ;)

After I got my "pity deer" in 32 last year, I saw a nice 4X5 coues that was running up the other side of the canyon. :P I hope he is still alive. ;)

for me it will be#1= 24a dec whitetail-24a muledeer this is a new unit for me so if drawn it will be fun.5a bull archery 5a cow. love elk steaks and summer sasage

All right I figured out what I am gonna do. I am gonna put in for 36b October for my #1 then I will put in for 21 Dec. for my #2.

I say if you want a dec hunt it better be your first choice. I will be in one of the unit 34s I hope. I am sure I will be down there but I hope to draw my own tag there as well.

Yep, you need to reverse your hunt choices and put 21 as the 1st choice. You should always put the lower odds hunt as your first choice or you are just wasting your second choice.

It's a statistical thang.

From what I understood when your app is draw it checks your first choice and if that hunt is full it checks your second choice and if that hunt is full it kicks it back out, then when it is redrawn it checks your 3rd, 4th, and 5th, I might be wrong, but it seems like I read it somewhere and if I can find it I will post it.

In this scenario you would put the hunt you most wanted to go on first which you should anyway, and your second choice could have worse odds and you could still get it.

If your 1st choice hunt is traditionally a 40% draw and your second choice is say, 10%. You will NEVER draw your second choice hunt. If the 40% hunt is full, there is a 99.9999999999% chance that the 10% is also full.

But, if you put the 10% hunt first, and it is full when your name is drawn, there is still a 30% chance that your second choice (40%) hunt has tags left. 40%-10%=30%.

If the 40% hunt is the hunt you really want, then that's fine, go ahead and put it first, but you need to pick a hunt with a better than 40% draw rate for your second choice or you're just throwing it away.

There are execptions, of coarse, but on average that's how it works.

DesertBull you are correct, but all I was trying to say is that they check your 1st and 2nd choices when your name is drawn, then it is thrown back in for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I put the hunt I want as my first choice and then I pick one that I know I will get with my second choice.

I've been drawn a number of times on my 5th choice. Once I was 4 tags from the end.