catfish

when did you shoot your first big game animal

I was 10 or 11 when I killed my first deer, a rifle doe on the kiabab. My first archery deer was when I was 14, a doe in Utah. My first elk was a rifle bull in 3C when I was 14 (a 6x6). First archery bull in NM when I was 16 (a 5x5). Man, now I feel old.

Brian

I was 11 years old. Took a two point muley in unit 32.

I started hunting Coues Whitetail when I was 15, since then I have been hooked. I have not even thought of putting in for a carp tag since.

My 14 year old daughter has drawn twice and has not killed yet so maybe this year I will put her in for muley.

wow..this one has been going on a while. I was 13 or 14, feral pig in the Northern Territory of Australia...first big game here...mule deer in unit 23 in my mid 20s...that would be the 80's

I was 10 and it was a caribou in 40 below 0 F with a custom mauser 308 my dad built for me (which I still have and have used to harvest 3 elk and several mule deer and two javelina) in central Alaska with my dad. We were tent camping with 3 snowmobiles and a total of 5 hunters. I wish I had a picture. Hooked ever since. Anybody up for a winter snowmobile caribou hunt?

i shot two mule deer when i was ten one on in Oklahoma an my friend dallas shot a big whitetail. an the other in unit 23 jr tag an the same mornin i shot mine my cousin shot a big coues buck. then a javelina in 23. finally shot a big buck in 2010 on a 22 jr. hunt.

Dang you guys are all young bucks, except for Bill and Lark,(he he). I was 12 when I got my first deer, I remember going over to a service station with my dad and buying the tag over the counter for $1.00, the old metal tags that once you clipped them together you couldnt get them apart, some of you may remember them. Me, My dad and brother went up toward Alpine Az. and seen a bunch of does, I picked out a buck in the bunch but my dad and brother didnt see him, and I was to young to take the shot without dad tellin me to, he didnt want me to kill a doe by mistake, the deer ran off and thats when they seen the buck, I ran up the hill after them and caught up to them and shot my first buck a 4x4 muley with an old Marlin chambered in 256 Win, kilt him on the spot.

I was 16 when I killed a whitetail buck in the Catskill Mts. of NY in 1957. It had spike antlers about 13" long and weighed just under 250 lbs. on a real butcher's scale. I used a Marlin 336T 30/30 -- the same rifle that killed my first AZ buck near Kirkland Junction in 1962.

javelina, 10.

am i the only guy that wasn't a little shocked that Bill Q's first game animal wasn't a wooly mammoth or a cave bear? i was looking at a house on a ranch awhile back that had a big fireplace made outta petrified logs. one of em had "BILL QUIMBY" whittled in it. Lark.

• Like 1

I started when I was 10 but it took me 7 more before I could shoot, then find, then get my tag on a 3x mule deer. That was more an "about time!!!" moment. Getting my first buck (WT spike) with a bow was probably a bigger thrill.