catfish

when did you shoot your first big game animal

1974 i was 14.  fork mule deer at saguaro lake above the guest ranch.  my right hand was all busted and in a cast from a fistfight and i was shooting dad's pre64m70 30/06 left handed.  one shot.  $20 k-mart scope that dad just hated seeing on his rifle-'kid you don't need that shoot'.  bob kyhn and i were too young to drive so mom dropped us off in the dark and then later bob hitched a ride to the marina and called mom to come get us.

lee

On 8/21/2019 at 2:38 PM, biglakejake said:

1974 i was 15.  fork mule deer at saguaro lake above the guest ranch.  my right hand was all busted and in a cast from a fistfight and i was shooting dad's pre64m70 30/06 left handed.  one shot.  $20 k-mart scope that dad just hated seeing on his rifle-'kid you don't need that shoot'.  bob and i were too young to drive so mom dropped us off in the dark and bob hitched a ride to the marina and called mom to come get us.

lee

Lee we are pretty close in time frame. I think in 73 at 16 I shot my first buck. My old man must have been forward thinking because his 30-06 SPFD O3 had a 4X lyman scope older than I was mounted on it. We were hunting above Sycamore Canyon just N of the border in unit 36B. Looking forward to my 47th deer season in AZ this fall.

My first buck will be tough to top. My dad and I cut his track one morning and I tracked him right to his bed. Made a 50 yard shot with my .243 and he never got up. It was November 2001 and I was only days away from turning 16. 

1st buck.jpg

• Like 5

My first solo kill was at about 32 years old on a cow elk. I had shot a cow elk when I was about 16, but my dad had already hit it and it would have dropped without my hit so it wasn't my kill.

1975-1st Coues Deer-already had  a burro.

ridge south of peppersauce cg, snow blowing sideways, entire san pedro valley socked in.  hunting w the 12yo from the next campsite.

1976coues.thumb.jpeg.985f52425af9661cabef3da432fbe0de.jpeg

wow.  look at all that hair.

lee