Diamondbackaz

Remington 600's, 660's and mohawks

Some of you may not be familiar with these neat little short action rifles produced back in the mid to late sixties that are light weight, and are excellent shooters. Apparently Cabela's bought a collection from a guy that had over sixty of these rifles and was the largest private collection in the US. They had calibers ranging from 6.5 mm mag, 35 rem mag, 6 mm, 308, 222, and 243. These make great carry guns and are collectors. More info on these types of rifles: http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_600.htm .

my kid said he saw them there. good little rifles. i have a mohawk in .243. it's killed more deer than any mountain lion. my kids and numerous other little outlaws shot a bunch with it. when they got scope eye, i let move up to a bigger rifle. a .270 o' course. only thing i don't like about em is the bolt rail on the left side of the action is the same size as a .308/.243 case and it's easy to get one stuck in it and they're hard to get out sometimes, when you're in a hurry. great little gun for a kid to start with. i found a stock for mine that hadn't been cut off and i use it a lot now for a handy rifle to pack horseback or in the pickup. Lark.

Ya I looked at them myself but don't alot about them . Looked alot like youth models and wondered about rebarreling and triggers. there was 2 loose actions w/ barrels the weekend before last. i wondered how they compared to 700 actions and fitment quality

my kid said he saw them there. good little rifles. i have a mohawk in .243. it's killed more deer than any mountain lion. my kids and numerous other little outlaws shot a bunch with it. when they got scope eye, i let move up to a bigger rifle. a .270 o' course. only thing i don't like about em is the bolt rail on the left side of the action is the same size as a .308/.243 case and it's easy to get one stuck in it and they're hard to get out sometimes, when you're in a hurry. great little gun for a kid to start with. i found a stock for mine that hadn't been cut off and i use it a lot now for a handy rifle to pack horseback or in the pickup. Lark.

Have the exact same gun. My dad bought it brand new for $100 back when they first came out. Heck of a deer gun. It used to be accurate as heck until I let my brother n law and his kids use it for deer hunting. After they killed deer they shot about 100 rounds through it with out letting it cool, one right after another, and now it is lucky to hit a basketball at 100 yards. Burned up the barrel. Need a new one. Anyway they are great little guns.

Brian

Own two model 600's. The .243 and a .6mm. Love them. Would like to get the .222 for preadators.Anybody comes across a .223 for a smokin deal snag it, they the hardest to come by.

Most of them at Cabelas were $900.00 and up due to their collectors value. Here is one on gun broker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139602059 . Many custom gun makers used 600 actions as it is one of the lightest actions ever made,. My friend told me that Lawson used this action on their original thumbhole stock. They have lots of custom parts for them. My 600 is a 6mm that my dad had bought new at Jensen's for my mom back in the day.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking for a light weight .243. Two quick questions though: 1. What should one expect to pay for a 600, 660 or Mohawk in decent shape? 2. What is "scope eye"?

Jimmer, I had a .243 cal. Model 600 Mohawk for years. It shot tight groups and had a decent trigger. I cut the stock length down to fit the kids and they all got their first few deer with it. My recollection is that, although it was short, it was not light as the stubby barrel was quite heavy. Probably about 7 1/2 to 8 lbs without sights.

Jack

Thanks for the post. I'm looking for a light weight .243. Two quick questions though: 1. What should one expect to pay for a 600, 660 or Mohawk in decent shape? 2. What is "scope eye"?

Heres the lightest production guns that I know of, but they are a little pricey

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/f...amp;type_id=038

I have one in .222 and use it for predator calling. It has a been a good rifle. There are some deficiencies that Remington has fixed with the 700 and the 7. They have an ugly, protruding floorplate that does not open (an ADL is much cleaner). They have a huge ugly guard screw that is no longer manufactured so you have to make your own if you need a different one (I did). There is no way to depress the bolt stop other than to stick a small screwdriver in along the bolt. The triggers are a rubic's cube in assembly terms- don't take one apart unless you are really gun-savvy. Other than that, they are good rifles. Mine shoots quite decent and I recently bought a new barrel for it- a 600 take-off in .222 that was far better than my original. It screwed on and headspaced fine although the stamping is not on top.

I paid $250 for mine with a 4X El Paso Weaver on it. I wouldn't give more than $400 for a cherry one though.

Dennis

They are asking 800 for the non Mohawks and 900 to a grand for the Mohawks--i guess my 308 is worth more than i thought.

I have a Mohawk 600 in .222 sitting in the guncase. I paid $120.00 for it about 11 years ago.

-Bill

My father bought me one back in the mid 60's. I still have it, a 600 in .308. If I remember correctly, paid $89 back then. The triggers were fantastic for these guns, not the lawyer proof ones.

Ron