Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

7X7 pictures and story

well, i was very fortunate in the draw this year, i got a unit 1 archery bull tag a colorado antelope tag and of course a coues tag. i put all of the other hunts on the back burner in preparation for my bull tag, being that it took me ten years to draw, and I really wanted to take a good bull in the 360+ range. I spent about every weekend scouting and found some real big bulls with many in the 350 range and a few that I thought would go 370-390. I knew puttin an arrow through one of these big boys wasnt going to be easy though. The hunt started and I found myself without much of a plan on opening morning, due to the fact that the bulls were not really rutting at all and bugles were very few and far between. i got on a great big S.O.B. that evening though only to run out of cover at 119 yards. my brother gunner was able to locate a good bull that evening that was in a great place to get. A plan was made that night to hunt this bull. he was right where he was left the night before and we got set up just perfect. i had about 13 of his 15 cows feeding in a small clearing about 50 yards ahead. just a few more steps and he was going to be mine. well the old, gray "alpha" cow decided to circle around us and catch our wind, and in a big PPPPSSSSSSHHHHHHH all the elk evacuated the meadow. This was a good bull athat will go around 360. we got on the same bull again that evening but opted not to make a stalk on him due to fading daylight. we figured we would go back in there in the morning and he would be mine. WRONG! we got set up at first light sunday morning only to discover that the bull or his were nowhere to be found, and we were caught with our pants down, and no plan B. We hopped in the truck and haulled @SS down the road trying to find a bull to chase, we located one quickly, but he fled into the timber before we could get on him. so we headed down a little ways and stopped a quarter mile or so short of a clearing, we got all of our gear ready and started walking when we heard a good bugle. it turned into a near sprint to catch this bull before he hit the timber. we ended up getting set up on the meadow just in time to see somecows jump a fence and from out of nowhere this monster steps out and hesitated for about 3 seconds to jump the fence after his cows, and that was all it took. I let the 100 grn montec fly out of my PSE x-force GX at about 65 yards, only to hear a solid smack. I felt good about the shot and it was obvious that he was real sick. The arrow made a total pass through on both lungs about 3 inches behind the shoulder and right in the middle of the chest. the big old bull spun and trotted off about 100 yards where he layed down. He stayed there for about 30 minutes, then got up and walked another hundred or so yards and layed down again. i thought he wsa done for sure this time, but he stoo up again and walked over to a fence=, stared at it for a while and jumped it. it was now obvious that i had to get another arrow in him. my brother Gunner and I made a huge loop and came in beneath the bull. all he offered me was a 30-35 yard neck shot, so I decided to take it. I let it fly and smacked him again real solidly. the bull hopped up ran off. we trailed him for a while and found him laying down again and i was able to dispatch him for good at 45 yards. We knew he was a good bull but not this big. He ended up grossing a real conservative 372 and some change, with 56 inch main beams. He is more than i could ever dream of taking. a special thanks goes out to my dad Lark, and brother Gunner Hubbard. also Tad Allred, Jimmy Wright and the camp cook Big John Naegle. I couldnt have done it without these guys

post-63-1253158692_thumb.jpg

post-63-1253158741_thumb.jpg

post-63-1253158824_thumb.jpg

post-63-1253158874_thumb.jpg

heres a few more.... i know jimmy has got some better ones. throw em up here man, i havent even seen them yet

post-63-1253159402.jpg

post-63-1253159443_thumb.jpg

in the group photo, you guys can all ignore my index finger. Lark.

Now thats funny. Congratulations on a great bull.

Bob

WOW what a bull. One of my favorite units. The other is 27. I knew we were suposed to read between the lines with your fingers. Congrats to your Boy on a once in a lifetime kind of bull.

Congratulations on a very nice bull. I know how excited you must have been. I would be to. Great that you thanked all your help. :)

TJ