Sign in to follow this  
Nitemann

Wyoming Lope

This is a prime example of how bad the economy is here. This succesfull hunter, was only able to purchase half of the rifle. The question is.........How was he able to shoot with out a triger?? :unsure:

Or..........he ran out bullets.....and hit the lope with the rifle and the rifle broke! :blink:

Ernesto C

Thanks guys, After piling up 17 points here in AZ I decided to try for a lope in Wyoming with a group of other specialty pistol shooters. Everybody was successful and it was definitely more challenging/rewarding with the short barreled guns. I'm pretty confident out to 300 yds with this XP but I stretched it a little and shot him at a lasered 389yds. The gun is a XP-100 that has been customized with an HS Precision stock and a 15.5" heavy barrel in 308 win. A 3x9 Burris pistol scope is mounted on it. Hornady 155 A-Max's loaded with Varget powder was used. The buck measures right at 12" with some pretty good cutters. Maybe someday i'll draw a tag in AZ.

Rick

Congrats on your lope and please never lay another gun on the rairoad tracks again. :lol:

TJ

Congrats on the lope. That is a long shot. Can you tell me how well the bullet performed once it hit the animal? I have been expirimenting with them out of my 300WM but havent shot anything yet. Thanks

105coues the A-Max bullet blew him up pretty bad with only about 4" of penatration (did kill him on the spot tho). I wouldn't use it again (probably too slow of velocity at that distance)). If it would of been a larger/tougher animal I think it would of just wounded it. I'll probably use Nosler B-Tips next time.

Rick

Thanks for the input. I shoot the Nosler 165 BT's and have killed WT up to big bull elk and they have done well. I was looking at the AMAX for a cheaper replacement due to Nosler jacking there prices way up but it doesn't sound like this is the one for me.

FYI: My daughter has shot two elk(cow and 6 PT) with the 270 cal 130 gn Nosler Accubonds and they have been absolutely phenominal in performance. All three bullets have passed completely through with good terminal performance. She also killed an 82" Whitey last year with them and they did very well on it as well. Might be something to consider if you hunt bigger critters at some point.

Thanks again for your input.

Good hunt with an XP. Congrats.

What kind of muzzle velocity are you getting?

You said only 4" of penetration? Where did it impact on the antelope and what kind of tissue damage? Pic of recovered bullet? I thought the A-max was being used for LR to open at lower vel and have high BC to help retain vel and trajectory.

Doug~RR

Doug i'm getting about 2750fps at the muzzle. It hit the shoulder blade and made about a 6" crater, 4" deep (mush). I've had friends use the same bullet at 3000fps plus on deer and lope and worked great. They did have issues on larger critters. No bullet was recovered. They are very accurate and have a higher B.C. than the noslers. I do like the Nosler accubonds as well but they are a bit pricy.

Rick