Sign in to follow this  
BML

GFD does it again!

First off, let me say that I do not go to the meetings, so I never piss and moan about the way our GFD runs things. I do, however, question how or why they do things on occasion.

Here's my recent example:

I received my hunter survey card for my elk hunt this year. This year, it's in a different type of format. It's bigger and on the left side lists the hunt number and tag number issued. On the right has the actual questionnaire.

Here's the dumb part. I drew an archery elk hunt. The hunt number and tag number are correct on the left, but the right side is an ANTELOPE questionnaire!!!!

I can understand that mistakes happen on occasion. What bothers me is that they constantly state that we archery hunters don't turn in our surveys and they can never get an accurate number of animals harvested and then they go and have a major screw up on the survey card!

Maybe it's a trivial thing, but doesn't anybody proofread this stuff before it goes to print???

We are genuinely sorry about the mix up, but this year we used a contract vendor to mail out our surveys. The surveys were inadvertently printed with the wrong labels (elk on pronghorn, pronghorn on elk). The vendor has sent new questionnaires to these 6,000 individuals with the correct information (at their expense), and we are sending out a press release to inform everyone of the vendor's mix up.

We apologize for the confusion, but we are trying to make it easier for everyone to report. For the first time this year, you can go online and complete the survey. The information is accurately printed (really) on the questionnaire.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Arizona Game and Fish Department

We are genuinely sorry about the mix up, but this year we used a contract vendor to mail out our surveys. The surveys were inadvertently printed with the wrong labels (elk on pronghorn, pronghorn on elk). The vendor has sent new questionnaires to these 6,000 individuals with the correct information (at their expense), and we are sending out a press release to inform everyone of the vendor's mix up.

We apologize for the confusion, but we are trying to make it easier for everyone to report. For the first time this year, you can go online and complete the survey. The information is accurately printed (really) on the questionnaire.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up!

my favorite was in Arizona Wildlife Views-the official publication of AZGFD-a couple years ago when they captioned a photograph of domestic hogs as 'javalina'.

very glad i did not have a subscription to cancel......

lee

Brian,

I heard a rumor that G&F was considering a rule change to make all hunts mandatory reporting. Any truth to that? (hopefully?)

Thanks,

Mark

Currently all of our standard rulemaking is on hold because of legislation and executive orders that have placed a moratorium on rulemaking since January 2009 through June 2010. We are not engaged in any rulemaking that is not specific to public health and safety at this time. That is a long-winded way of saying we are not currently considering any changes to the reporting requirements.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Here is the link for the ELK/ANTELOPE SNAFU>>>

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/...ionnaires.shtml

Solution Provided on Az G & Fish website:

The approximately 6,000 hunters who receive the wrong questionnaires may go online (the Web site address is listed on the questionnaire) and complete the questionnaire for their correct hunt.

Or those who receive the wrong questionnaire can simply throw it and wait for a new questionnaire that is being mailed to them.

AzP&Y

Oh man, does anyone else out there wish that we could have a permanent moratorium on rule making state and nation wide? Am I the only one that wishes all the lawdawgs would just leave well enough alone?

Currently all of our standard rulemaking is on hold because of legislation and executive orders that have placed a moratorium on rulemaking since January 2009 through June 2010. We are not engaged in any rulemaking that is not specific to public health and safety at this time. That is a long-winded way of saying we are not currently considering any changes to the reporting requirements.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Yes! Let's make that a permanent ruling. We have a enough freakin rules as it is.

Brian, thak you for taking the time to post on here and clearing some things up. I, and I'm sure many other members here, appreciate you answering some questions. Thanks again my friend. :)

TJ

Brian, thak you for taking the time to post on here and clearing some things up. I, and I'm sure many other members here, appreciate you answering some questions. Thanks again my friend. :)

TJ

+1

Brian, I also thank you for coming on to inform us of what took place. It is nice to see there is some civility (sp?) still on this website and that folks do not take cheap shots at you directly. Thanks again, Broken Wheels!