Sign in to follow this  
Lance

KAIBAB BUCKS! Drop Tine Buck!

We were once again very blessed to be able to hunt the Kaibab on the early rifle hunt with some very wonderful friends and family!

We had a great team going and every one did their best to do their part when it came time for it.

Ernie, Mark and Phillip were the ones in our camp lucky enough to draw the tags. Ernie from Phoenix would hunt with Jon, Mark from Texas would hunt with me and Phillip from Tucson would hunt with his son, TLO guide Jake.

The weather had moved in before the hunt and laid down some -0 temps and a few inches of snow!

Opening morning came and we all had our plans and took our positions. When the sun came up it was the start of a beautiful day! We found several great bucks between all of us including the "Drop Tine" buck we had hunted on the archery hunt! We jumped this buck several times, circling him and intercepting him 4 times without getting a shot. About this time Jon called on the radio and let us know they had connected on a big buck! Jake and Phillip went to help them and Mark and I continued on the trail of the Drop Tine buck! We once again determined where he was going to go and circled away from his back trail to take a peak in the area. We found the buck bedded and watching his back trail like we figured. Mark made a great shot just over 100 yards to take him in his bed! He is a buck that has everything, high wide and heavy with kicker, sticker and drop tine! It was a fine two buck day and we were all counting our blessings with these two beautiful bucks we were able to be a part of!

This is Ernie with his awesome buck!

post-669-1257828715_thumb.jpg

post-669-1257829351_thumb.jpg

This is Mark with his awesome "Drop Tine" buck!

post-669-1257834425_thumb.jpg

post-669-1257834497_thumb.jpg

The next day was Phillips turn! He only had a couple of days to hunt so it was time to make it happen. We split up and glassed from a couple different angles where we knew some shooter bucks were at. Jon was the first to spot one of the big ones and we got Phillip and Jake over there and into position. When it was all said and done a beautiful 185" class buck slipped away with a couple of hairs missing off the bottom of his chest. It was a close call that left all of us excited and ready to try to find him again or find another! We had just spread out and moved into a canyon with high hopes when Phillips gun rang out and startled us all! He had taken a beautiful 4x5!

This is Phillip with his great 4x5 buck!

post-669-1257836228_thumb.jpg

post-669-1257836274_thumb.jpg

This is the happy crew. For those of you wondering about score, here is a reference for you, the buck in the middle scores 165"

post-669-1257834690_thumb.jpg

post-669-1257834753_thumb.jpg

That afternoon TLO guide Ben showed up in our camp to see how things were going. Ben's new bride Kaylee and her family and friends had several tags amongst themselves in another camp. Ben and Kaylee had been on several great bucks but hadn't gotten a bullet in one of them. They were hunting another unit in the Bab and bucks were getting a lot of pressure. Ben said they both had to get back to work and asked if I had any After Opening Day buck hideouts that they hadn't tried yet. Since they had to leave she had lowered her sights and was just looking to fill her tag with a 3pt or better. As I began to show him some spots on the map I had a better idea and said since we were done in our camp why don't I just go with you! So Ben, Kaylee and I headed out for the evening hunt to check some honey holes. After passing several little bucks we found a group of bigger bucks sneaking from one hidey hole to another. We tracked them down and found them in their beds and after a little sneak and peek stalk action Kaylee took the bigger of the 4 bucks in his bed at about 200 yards for another wonderful two buck day!

This is Kaylee and Ben with Kaylee's buck!

post-669-1257834934_thumb.jpg

post-669-1257834979_thumb.jpg

What a blessing to be a part of such wonderful animals with wonderful people! Thank you everyone, it was great to be a part of another awesome Kaibab hunt!

Lance

Those are sum nice looking carp congrats

Awesome Bucks!!!

You boys run a top notch operation, the game you take and the smiles on your client's faces show it. Congrats.

That's a great job....those are some solid bucks for the early hunt....congrats...Bob.

Wow.

Awesome Success.

great bucks.

Your hunting season has been fillied with many trophy "assists"

I applaud you and hope you gusy can keep the luck on your side.