Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Bleaching a boiled skull

Does anyone know what product I need to buy to bleach a boiled out skull? I hear the best is a 20% peroxide product that you brush on. Your help is appreciated. I will be bleaching the skull of the deer in my avatar. Thanks.

Does anyone know what product I need to buy to bleach a boiled out skull? I hear the best is a 20% peroxide product that you brush on. Your help is appreciated.

+1

hair bleach at a beauty supply place will do the trick. mix it up, brush it on, set it in the sun for about an hour, rinse it off and you are good to go.

You can do that bleaching product OR you can do something simpler by just buying some 3% peroxide in the brown bottles at the dollar store or grocery store. Once the skull is cleaned, just soak it overnight in the peroxide. It's much safer than bleach on a skull. Visit Taxidermy.net for more info on cleaning skulls. Great resource. One trick on the peroxide so you don't have to use so much is that once you empty a bottle, fill it with water and then place it in your soaking bucket to displace some peroxide so it covers your skull easier. Use as many bottles as you need so that your skull is completely covered but you don't have to use so much peroxide.

You can use aluminum foil to protect the bases of the antlers so they don't fade during soaking.

post-1-1258001134_thumb.jpg

Amanda

You can do that bleaching product OR you can do something simpler by just buying some 3% peroxide in the brown bottles at the dollar store or grocery store. Once the skull is cleaned, just soak it overnight in the peroxide. It's much safer than bleach on a skull. Visit Taxidermy.net for more info on cleaning skulls. Great resource. One trick on the peroxide so you don't have to use so much is that once you empty a bottle, fill it with water and then place it in your soaking bucket to displace some peroxide so it covers your skull easier. Use as many bottles as you need so that your skull is completely covered but you don't have to use so much peroxide.

You can use aluminum foil to protect the bases of the antlers so they don't fade during soaking.

Amanda

Wow, Thanks! My husband was just asking about this last weekend! He wants to do his and my son's deer that they just got. Sounds easy enough...

Amanda

+1

I think doing it this way gives the skull a nice clean natural white look instead of blindingly bleach white. It is very easy to do.

Amanda, that buck is dope. Story?

It's a buck I shot in Mexico a few years ago. I love it because of it's giant eyegaurds, main beams that almost touch, big g2s and it's great dark color, but surprisingly it only scores a little over a 100. It's got a narrow spread.

You can read the full hunt story here:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/hunt_stories/akm_mex_07.htm

Amanda

I wrap the bases and antlers in aluminum foil. It sounds funny but you can push the foil into all the little cracks around the bases. I then sparay the skull with a couple of coats of Krylon flat white. The flat white looks really good and seals the bone from any future oils rising to the surface to gather dust and turn the bone grey. It makes cleaning the skulls alot easier also. Try it on a pick up head and you probably will stay with it.

Amanda, that buck is dope. Story?

It's a buck I shot in Mexico a few years ago. I love it because of it's giant eyegaurds, main beams that almost touch, big g2s and it's great dark color, but surprisingly it only scores a little over a 100. It's got a narrow spread.

You can read the full hunt story here:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/hunt_stories/akm_mex_07.htm

Amanda

I remember that now. I agree he looks bigger than a touch over 100, but who cares when he looks like that. He looks like a smaller version of the #2 typical...

volume 40 developer creme spread it on the boiled and cleaned skull set it in the sun for about an hour or two and youll have a snow white skull after you rinse it off