Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Randy's Early Nov. Coues

Well Randy didn't get drawn for deer this year like myself and many others, but he was fortunate to pickup a leftover tag for a unit I told him to apply for. Randy didn't have any previous experience in the unit and I said I would give him some areas to check out. I didn't think I would be able to make it down at all so I didn't apply for a leftover, but as luck would have it I was able to get 3 days off to help him out.

We arrived at camp Tuesday morning around 1:30 because of my school schedule and Randy's work schedule. We were able to take a couple hour nap and then head out for the day. We hiked into a glassing point I have had good luck in the past off of and almost instantly we were finding deer. After about and hour and only does and a couple of spikes located I decided to work around the knob to glass some new country when 100 yards below me 4 bucks were feeding away. I got Randy's attention, but by the time he got to me the bucks (including a 95 class buck) had worked over the ridge into the next canyon. We loaded up and moved over to that canyon and glassed for several hours turning up a few does. We continued to glass and I was able to pick up a very nice looking 85 to 90 type buck with 4 plus inch eyeguards. We waited for him to bed since he was on the northeast slope of a hill, but he just kept climbing uphill until he topped out. Throughout the day we found does, spikes and a few 2 points. We never again saw the 2 larger bucks.

On Wednesday morning we went back to the same knob in hopes of finding one of the big bucks again. We glassed up til 10 only finding does and a spike when I picked up a 2 point with double eyeguards. We debated moving in on him since he went into a drainage and never came out. We decided to move in around noon and setup aroudn 300 yards out. We picked the hillside apart and even moved up to 150 yards with nothing seen. We then went back to the truck to glass an area that my dad had found a buck that morning that was alot easier access. We arrived at camp and talked with Doug (redrabbit) about how his hunt had gone and to get some better food besides vienna sausages. Afterward we headed out and arrived at our new perch around 2:30. We all glassed for about 30 minutes when I picked up a deer and it was a buck. I told Randy it was a 2x3 and for a leftover tag we decided it was good enough. We dropped off our point and got setup 250 yards away. Randy said he was ready and took the shot. He hit the buck quarting away and destroyed the heart! A perfect shot and the buck was down. It was a tough hunt due to the lack of deer movement and how hot it was, but it was an extremely fun hunt.

post-322-1258142972_thumb.jpg

CIMG0526.jpg

CIMG0546.jpg

Congrats to Randy and you Christian on a very nice buck! Way to get 'er done in short order.

Nothing wrong with that guy there ... very respectable buck Left over tag or not .... especially in a year where it seems so many are making tag soup.... Good pics and write up

I was wondering on how the rest of the hunt went. Good show for such a short amount of hunting time allowable.

How did his blisters fare?

Doug~RR

Way to go master guide! Congrats to Randy that is a great buck!

Great job Randy and Christian!!! Sounds like a good hunt for limited time.