CouesWhitetail

Havalon Knives - Check these out!

I have always wondered how good these knives were. On the hunt where Scott Adams killed his giant buck, one of the guys with us had one of these knives and it was amazing how easy it was to skin and bone out the deer with this super sharp knife. The nice thing is you never have to worry about sharpening them. The blades keep their edge exceptionally well and when they do get dull you just put a fresh blade on it. Each knife comes with 12 blades so you can always have a super sharp knife to skin anything.

Check them out!

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/havalon_knives.htm

post-1-1258925784.jpg

Amanda

I just bought one a few weeks ago after using JAmaro's to skin and cape my New Mexico mule deer. They are fantastic! The blades are so sharp it's scary! I can't wait to use mine in Mexico in a few weeks.

For what it's worth I don't think this knife is meant to replace your everyday pocket knife or Leatherman. Seems to me that they work great for skinning and caping, but wouldn't be the best choice for everyday use.

I just bought one a few weeks ago after using JAmaro's to skin and cape my New Mexico mule deer. They are fantastic! The blades are so sharp it's scary! I can't wait to use mine in Mexico in a few weeks.

For what it's worth I don't think this knife is meant to replace your everyday pocket knife or Leatherman. Seems to me that they work great for skinning and caping, but wouldn't be the best choice for everyday use.

I'll be ordering one ;)

Tim, I liked your old avatar better :rolleyes:

These knives are great! Anyone who gets one will love them.

The best knife I have ever used. They are so sharp that I actually cut my self with one while caping my antelope this year and did not even feel it. Be carefull whe changing the blades! great product!

I am actually pretty scared to change the blade on one of these, but they say once you do it you get the hang of it and it's not that tricky. But when I watch people change them, it makes me nervous! You could slice a finger off pretty quick with one of these, so please be careful with these!

Amanda

Amanda, once you've done it once or twice it's no big deal. They say you should use forecepts or needle nose pliers to safely change the blades. Just be careful and don't try to force anything.

Mike, go watch the movie Kung Pow and you might like my new avatar a little better. Grong let me barrow it this week and I laughed so hard I cried! Probably one of the most stupid movies I've ever seen. Don't watch it if you don't like stupid humor.

I have had one of thes knives for a couple of years now. They are great. You can also get different blades, round nose or pointed. The round nose is great for skinning. The only bad thing about them is changing the blade, at first. Once you get used to it, its not bad.

+ 1 on the Havalon. We used them this year on an elk and two coues deer. Incredible. I will never use another blade to skin game. The changing of the blade comment made me laugh. I still have a souvenier on my finger from the first changing of the blade! It is a piece of cake after you do it a few times.

I also added the new blunt tip replacement blades to the havalon knife page. These should be excellent for avoiding poking through anything you didn't want to poke through while you are skinning.

Amanda

I've been using them for a while and love them. Will not change. I agree they do not replace a pocket knife or leatherman but they are great for skinning and caping.

These are great. I picked up a pair of little pliers in the flytying dept of Sportsmans to change blades (they weighed less than forceps)

I zipped through my elk this year in record time. I also used it to filet out quail breasts, skin rattlers etc.

Awesome product.

The way I change the blade is to use the straight slot on my leatherman and put it at the back of the blade and wedge it up a little while pushing it forward. This usually frees it up enough to slide it the rest of the way with your fingers.

I have skinned many critters with my Havalon and now find it a must have item in my pack along with an extra blade. I really like the blunt tip for skinning the faces of small critters like bobcats and grey's.