Sign in to follow this  
shanehamblin

My late archery bull 360 3/8

Great Bull. Glad to see the genes are still there. I killed one across the road in 05 that could be his twin.

Congradulations on the very nice bull. You should be exceptionally proud of your accomplishment!!

Congratulations on a very fine trophy. :)

TJ

Sorry guys i havent been on in a long time... well here is the story......

Opening day I hunted a bunch of different bulls. Over 30 bulls running together, not all shooters but about 5 or 6 of them were definate shooters. Well opening morning the bulls just got out in front of me and i had no luck catching up with them and didnt want to push them so I backed out. That evening I glassed up a different bunch 8 of bulls. I knew they were headed for a pond just down the ridge so i ran a good 3/4 mile and got into position and it wasnt 30 seconds after sitting down that i spotted the first bull feeding out of a thicket 60 yards to my left. the first bull to feed out was about a 330" six point and knew that for this tag that is a good bull. so i drew back settled my pin and released and as soon as my arrow left i knew i shot high. the bull was at a slight down hill angle and it all happened so quick i didnt adjust. well disappointed i headed back out with a buddy saturday morning to the same spot. when we got there it seemed like everyone else with an elk tag showed up too, so we hurried to a spot to glass where my brother had seem a big bull with a few small bulls and as soon as we got there and threw up the binos there they were. but the bad thing was they were in the middle of a sage flat as we were glassing we noticed a deep wash that ran through the flat that if we could get in we would have a shot at these bulls. well after along belly crawl and finally making it to the wash safely we started making our way to where we thought they were going to leave the flat. well we got all set up and could see the bulls coming...coming...coming and for some reason decided to feed around that ridge and past us but we felt confident that we could get on these bulls that evening. well wouldnt u know it that a storm blew in and it began to rain with heavy winds so they never moved during light but i knew i wanted to hunt this bull till he was dead or till he was gone. so that night i talked to my brother and he told me that the way these bulls had left the flat that morning was not the way they ever have before since he had been seeing them for about 2 weeks and he told me what they had been doing. so sunday morning i found myself on a ridge glassing as it was begining to get light and just about as it was getting to be good shooting light there they were and not 150 yards from me headed my way the big bull in the front. so i positioned myself and ranged a few different spots where i thought they might walk thru and just as i thought they would they finally made there way to an opening 60 yards away just before the big bull fed into the opening i drew my bow and took a deep breath as he finally had fed all the way into the opening i settled my 60 yard pin and released and saw my fletchings bury right behind his should. A quick jump in the air and the bull turned and headed straight downhill and down to the only spot were i couldnt see from where i was sitting. the two other bulls came out but not the big bull. the two little one kept hanging around and looking in the direction the bull had went which was no more than 75 yards from where i was still sitting trying to keep my cool. finally the other 2 bulls walked off still not spooked and i made my way down the hill and couldnt see anything at first so i slowly kept inching forward but slowly cuz i didnt want to bump him if he wasnt dead yet. i started to sit down and wait a bit longer as i glassed down the hill one more time to see a big rack sticking out of the sage brush and i could no longer keep my cool and began to celebrate... well as much as you can by yourself. i made it down to him and could hardly hold back the tears, (i think true hunters understand) im 25 years old lived in this unit all my life hunted it all my life guided here killed a lot of deer here but this was the first elk tag in this unit since putting in for in since i was 11, and just killed a bull of a lifetime. gotta thank my brother for all the scouting and time he put into helping me. no better hunting buddies than brothers..

Awesome bull!! I know EXACTLY where you got him from the skyline in the background!! ;) .

I woulda got all choked up too bro, The SPIRIT of the hunt!!

Congrats man!! Just awesome!!

Wow! Great bull on a tough hunt. It sounds like you know the unit and spent alot of time out there. Good job and yes most of understand the tears associated with joy! Boy, to be 25 again.......