Sign in to follow this  
loco4coues

22N 2 Bulls Down

I am posting this for my dad and my brother. This is what my dad wrote about the hunt:

Late season bulls filled our tags and freezers. My bull was shot right at 500 yards with 165 gr. Scirocco out of a Remington 300 Ultra mag. Justin’s bull was right at 600 hundred yards with the same load and rifle. We didn’t go on this hunt with expectations of shooting trophy bulls. We had seen for two days a nice bull that would probably go around 320 or so. We put him to bed Thursday night but on Friday he was know where to be found. So the 5x6 showed up Fri. at 4:15pm and I decided to fill the tag. On Sat. morning the small bull showed up and Justin had decided Fri. night he would take what ever opportunity might come his way. The small bull walked through the saddle behind a cow and Justin proned out with a rock steady rest and good long distance shooting conditions (no wind) and dropped the bull with one shot at 600 yards. We had a great time!

Jared,

Congrats to your dad and brother. My brother just finished his hunt up there as well. He will post that soon with some pics. That is a tough hunt nowadays. Lots of hunters!

Josh

i have a hunt up there this friday... hope it ends up as good as yours

i was up there this weekend helping out my girlfriends mom and didnt even see an elk. i found a lot of good sign but nothing better. so good job to you guys on a tough hunt.

Congrats to your dad and brother.

Were they able to recover the 165 Sciroccos to see bullet performance considering shot placement?

On my dads bull it was a steep downhill shot and the bullet entered just in front of the shoulder blade and exited down through the heart on the far side, no bullet to recover as it was a pass through. On my brothers bull, the bullet went through the shoulder blade and broke the shoulder. they didn't think about looking for the bullet and didn't come across it while skinning the bull.

Last year on the 2nd late 22N hunt, I shot a bull at 575 yards with the same bullet but out of my winchester model 70. I recovered both bullets from that bull, the had mushroomed perfectly and did a fantastic job on that bull. I also recovered the bullet from my coues this year at 450 yds. The buck was quartering almost all the way away and the bullet entered just in front of the hind quarter, all the way through the guts and far lung, broke the far shoulder and I found it just under the hide almost passing all the way through.

Josh,

thanks, it is a tough hunt with lots of hunters. I wasn't able to go with to help, but they said they only ran into one other guy where they were at. Congrats to your brother.

i have a hunt up there this friday... hope it ends up as good as yours

It is sad but these days a Trophy bull in 22 is one you can drive to.... Not the quality it used to be....just a hunting opportunity. Best of luck... on Circus #2 as we call them. ;)

CnS,

You got that right about being a circus. Wow, was up helping some friends last weekend and getting a preview for my buddies hunt this weekend. I could not believe how many hunters I saw and all of the shooting. It kind of takes the fun out of it seeing so many hunters. If you see a bull you like you had better get over there and get it killed before someone beats you to it.

I wish the AZGFD would reconsider the amount of tags in there. Bring back the quality of the hunt...please.

my .02.

ER