What a tough hunt. I got here to Arizona in 2007, and since then I have not harvested a coues. My luck changed today, not the Monster I was hoping, but for my first coues it will be rememberable. I left out Thanksgiving Day to make camp on the west side of the Huachuca's. I got to a spot to camp close to where a friend of mine told me there were good deer. I set up camp and waited until the next day. Opening day I took off on the quad to my spot to glass. Glassed for several hours and saw only doe's. I relocated to the flats in hopes I could catch a buck crossing draws. Nothing. This went on for 2 more days, and about 8 Doe, 200 or so BP, some quail, and a couple illegals. I decided to change camp locations before the nasty weather, not to mention I only heard about 2 shots the entire time over there. I left Monday and got to my new camp (the house). I figured I would just hunt the Canyons close to the house on the eastern side of the Huachucas. Monday night again nothing but Doe. Tuesday came and I was out early again and spotted a spike. Instead of passing and waiting for a larger buck I decided to take a shot. He was about 75yards away and I took aim, wouldnt you know I missed. He bounded about 10 feet and I shot again. Missed again, and he ran off into the woods. Scratching my head I figured out that my scope was knocked out of whack from riding on the front of the 4 wheeler. So I go and get another box of .270, head out to the quarry to verify my shot group. 14 shots later and Im back in the middle of the target. I head back out to the canyon about 3pm and get set up. I glass and see nothing. the night ended with no deer, and a full moon. Wednesday morning I was set up in a new spot by 6am. I glass the ridgeline for about an hour and see nothing. Then suddenly 3 deer come from behind a tree down in a small wash and are heading up right towards me. The first was a doe, then followed by a spike and another doe. The first doe came up out of the wash and I repositioned myself ready for the spike. She busted me. I sat motionless for what seemed to be an hour while she stomped trying to get me to move. Nothing doing, finally she started off on her merry business. Then the spike came up out of the wash and I shot, down he went. So finally got my first coues. I wasnt going to get skunked again, seeing that I will be in Afghanistan next year during hunting season. post-2284-1259795224_thumb.jpg

Congratulations. I also live in Hereford and am in the Huachuacas on a pretty regular basis. The fact that you found any bucks at all is impressive. The deer population in the Huachuacas is pretty low in my opinion. The ongoing drought along with the high hunter pressure plus all of the illegal activity has had a horrible impact. The population on the fort is significantly better. From your screen name and the fact you are going to deploy, I assume you are active duty on the fort. If you ever get a chance, you may try and get an on-base tag and have a real nice hunt.

Congrats on your first Coues and Thank you for your dedication and sacrifice for this great country!

I hope this doesnt sound stupid but I am really proud of you. You kept at it, changed locations, overcame a screwed up scope etc......and killed your first coues deer. This is something to be very proud of. Thanks for your service over there, get back here and all of us will help get you on to a big one. Email me or whatever and I will help with the unit selection etc.....Congratulations............Allen Taylor..........

Congrats on your first Coues and Thank you for your dedication and sacrifice for this great country!

+1

Congrats and thank you again!

+2 be safe, shoot straight!

I hope this doesnt sound stupid but I am really proud of you. You kept at it, changed locations, overcame a screwed up scope etc......and killed your first coues deer. This is something to be very proud of. Thanks for your service over there, get back here and all of us will help get you on to a big one. Email me or whatever and I will help with the unit selection etc.....Congratulations............Allen Taylor..........

Doesn't sound stupid at all .

+1

Thanks to all for your support. Here are a couple more pics, my camp set up, drinking hot coffee out of a cut 1 liter pepsi bottle (yes I forgot the most important thing-a coffee cup), I knew the little giant ladder would come in handy for something. Good luck to all in the Archery season.post-2284-1259841588_thumb.jpgpost-2284-1259841675_thumb.jpgpost-3-1101788373.jpg

post-2284-1259841697_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your first coues and way to stick with it !! Most of all Thank You for your service to our country and may God bless you and all the service men and women who protect us !!

BB

Master Sgt.,

I am an old peacetime vet, a man who had his corporal stripes yanked by a lowlife garrison type (proud of it to this day). Even talking to a demi-god, which is what a MSG was in the 80,s, still kinda freaks me out.

I just returned from an excellent hunt, with much on mind that sorta compares to your work in the "Stan." You hunted, persistently, and sat out the does! Me too. Congratulations. I hope the natural world brought you peace.

God bless you and your family. The children, the female children, of Afghanistan thank you.