Sign in to follow this  

right triangle formula

what's the formula for calculating the base of a right triangle if you know the length and angle of the hypotenus? i have an old geometry book in the attic but don't wanna crawl up there. if i'm gonna do this long range stuff i gotta get me a little caclulator i guess. c'mon, somebody out there knows the answer. where's Mr. Fuller when i need him? Lark..

SOHCAHTOA - don't you remember your trig?

the sine of angle A equals the length of the opposite side devided by the lenght of the hypotneuse: sin(A) = opp/hyp

the cosine of angle A equals the length of the adjacent side devided by the length of the hypotneuse: cos(A) = adj/hyp

the tangent of angle A equals the length of the opposite side devided by the length of the adjacent side: tan(A) = opp/adj

The first shot should tell you right where to put the second. :rolleyes: :D

--Bill

Rather than figuring the horizontal distance, it would be more accurate shooting if you multiplied the cosine of the angle to the moa come-ups. Not quite as good, would be to multiply the cosine by the drop over the angled distance. Both are better than determining drop from the horizontal distance.

thanks for the replys. i used to shoot the first shot to get the range for the second, a lot. with this new rifle and seeing the benefit of this long range stuff, i gotta change a lotta the ways i've always shot. what kinda angle indicaor do you use? i bought a leupold range finder with the angle indicator in it, but the range finder part was junk so i got my money back and bought a leica. range finder is great, but it doesn't have any other function. knowing the angle would have have been handy last sunday. thanks again. Lark.

Rather than figuring the horizontal distance, it would be more accurate shooting if you multiplied the cosine of the angle to the moa come-ups. Not quite as good, would be to multiply the cosine by the drop over the angled distance. Both are better than determining drop from the horizontal distance.

My head just exploded........

Ive seen the ACI before. some one else make one too, cant remember who. I made one w/ a straw and protractor and plumb bob. I lost it some where and never used it.

My head just exploded........

+1!!!! :lol: :lol: Leave it to the 'teacher'.... :blink:

I honestly thought Lark was putting us all on with this post. Still might be.....

S.

Formulas and Calculations for a right triangle:

•Pythagorean Theorem for Right Triangle: a^2 + b^2 = c^2

•Perimeter of Right Triangle: P = a + b + c

•Semiperimeter of Right Triangle: s = (a + b + c) / 2

•Area of Right Triangle: K = (a * B) / 2

•Altitude a of Right Triangle: ha = b

•Altitude b of Right Triangle: hb = a

•Altitude c of Right Triangle: hc = (a * B) / c

1. Given sides a and b find side c and the perimeter, semiperimeter, area and altitudes

•a and b are known; find c, P, s, K, ha, hb, and hc

•c = √(a^2 + b^2)

•P = a + b + c

•s = (a + b + c) / 2

•K = (a * B) / 2

•ha = b

•hb = a

•hc = (a * B) / c

2. Given sides a and c find side b and the perimeter, semiperimeter, area and altitudes

•a and c are known; find b, P, s, K, ha, hb, and hc

•b = √(c^2 - a^2)

•P = a + b + c

•s = (a + b + c) / 2

•K = (a * B) / 2

•ha = b

•hb = a

•hc = (a * B) / c