tontotom

New Mexico Eastern Whitetail?

Bill,

I say ele on the other site along with 99% of all the other "more afluent" and "educated" hunters.. Seems to me that calling an elephant an ele isn't giving the non hunting and anti crowd ammo towards their cause nor disrespectful to the animal in any way, shape or form..

Most ALL on that site who hunt elephant with any regularity call them ele as well.. If it was "ammo", wouldn't we all hear it on PETA propoganda posters and commercials and hear it being used at their rallies (obsurd, eh?)?? <_< It just seems that it's a pet peeve of your's as you made this same exact post on my ELEPHANT hunting thread on this site earlier this year.

Same with on here.. 99% of all the AZ and NM deer hunters on here and I know are going to and will ALWAYS will call coues a "COOZ" and ANY other WT (excuse me, Odocoileus virginianus (insert subspcies)) an "Eastern"... doesn't matter if it's from TX, NM, MT, MX, etc..

We all know that you used words for a living for a LONG number of years, but to go onto a site and belittle and look down your nose at someone for saying something that is, shall we say, par for the course, just BS.. That'd be like going to TX and berating anyone you hear say "ya'll".. You're not gonna get far before being called out.

We all know what he/she is saying when they refer to a WT as an eastern or an elephant an ele. Most on this (and the other) site are fairly well educated and can think for ourselves.

Rant over.

Thank you, Scottyboy.

You are correct about my pet peeves and I thank you for making me aware of what I'd done.

I have been so irked by the frequent infantile bastardization of the English language and near-total lack of knowledge of taxonomy by a great many hunters on the internet that I didn't realize I might be belittling a person when I only meant to criticize what exists out there. It seems I get crustier and more curmudgeonly as I age. I apologize to anyone I may have offended.

I am not the first professional writer to feel the way I do, however.

Although I do not in any way consider myself in the same league with him, I still remember Jack O'Connor writing in one of his columns that he got "the vapors" whenever he heard someone call a mule deer a "muley." As it turned out, O'Connor lost his battle to protect our language, as I obviously also have done here.

You guys may continue to say eastern whitetails, javy, whitey, taxi, spotter, ele, specie (instead of species or subspecies), etc. and I will bite my tongue and look the other way.

Incidentally, I also have always said "Cooz," even there there is some evidence that Elliott Coues himself pronounced his name "Cows." I've even written columns and articles defending my pronunciation of the word over the past fifty years.

Bill Quimby

Bill, keep in mind that not everyone is a professional write. Also, this is a site where many people here have familes and/or busy lives where posts might have to be made in great haste. This is also a casual site, full of every day Joe Schmo's (Jim the Plumber, if you will). It is not a educational site (it is, but not meant solely for that purpose), or a extremly formal site. If "slang" can not be used here, then where can it be used?

Good reply, Bill... I wasn't trying to throw stones here either..

We ALL love to have you on this site (AND the African site). You are a wealth of knowledge that is an asset ot have around. Just don't get too knotted up when we are yakkin' on the 'net!! Take a deep breath and remember, it isn't all the Queen's English!!

Cheers!

Thanks to all, even Bill who correctly pointed out the numerous sub-species of the whitetail deer. So it looks like there are some around Cloudcroft and the Reservation (wow what a buck!!).

Bill, I live in St Johns and would love to come to Greer and visit sometime. I'm always interested to learn more of things hunting. If you get tired of all the stuffy people at Molly Butlers drop me a note and we'll spend the day. Incendently it was O'Corner who's articles in Outdoor Life 1st opened my eyes to the Coues. He still lived here back then and I loved to get dad's copy and read his stuff many years ago. I didn't get my 1st glimpse of one until I was in my 20's and came across some down on the Blue.

Hey guys, the two subspecies of white-tailed deer found in New Mexico are the Odocoileus virginianus couesi and O.v. texanus races. (The texanus subspecies is found across six U.S. states -- and not just Texas -- and two Mexican states.) New Mexico's Coues and Texas whitetails are just two of the 30 recognized subspecies of North American white-tailed deer.

Last I looked, Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young lumped 29 of the North American whitetails (all except the Coues whitetail) into a single "whitetail deer" category. Recognizing that there are differences between the deer of each region, SCI lumps the 30 subspecies into seven categories based on their geographical range (again, except for the Coues whitetail).

What I'm trying to say is there is no such critter as an "eastern" whitetail, at least as far as scientists and record books are concerned. For those of us who hunt Coues whitetails to call the 29 other races "eastern whitetails" does a gross injustice to the various types of whitetails found north, west and south of here.

Bill Quimby

Thanks Mr. Quimby, that is very interesting. I learned something new today.

if bill hates folks bastardizin' the english langij, he must have a dart bord with my pitcher on it. i've only killed 2, both with rental cars. one southwest o' chicago and one by eldorado texas. the both looked just like the dead one i seen by springer. Lark.

if bill hates folks bastardizin' the english langij, he must have a dart bord with my pitcher on it. i've only killed 2, both with rental cars. one southwest o' chicago and one by eldorado texas. the both looked just like the dead one i seen by springer. Lark.

Lark: My dartboard is reserved for the important stuff that really makes my blood boil. Right now the photo on it is of the guy residing in the White House.

You are two up on me. I've yet to kill my first deer with a rental car. Because I made my living as an outdoor writer, I was fortunate to have taken five subspecies of whitetails, using rifles, a shotgun, and flintlock and percussion muzzloaders I built myself. Does that count?

Bill Quimby

How about we Just call Coues .... Coues , and we can Call all the rest White Tails no matter what sub species then when a hunter says were he bagged his Whitetail we can get into the specifics of which sub species his animal falls in ....

p.s. can we add words to the spell check dictionary or does Amanda have to Coues to the spell check dictionary so it does not come up as being misspelled?

There's whitetail in Nevada? I must have missed them somehow!

Odocoileus Nevadanus ;)

Mostely found in and around 'Vegas, Tahoe, Reno, and Pahrump. :blink:

--Bill

Interesting post with lots of good points made. Got me thinking as hunters what other slang words or phrases do we use even though they may be incorrect? How about when guys call antlers horns.

Bill, I always enjoy reading your posts... but if our use of the english language here gets under your skin then whatever you do, don't start text messaging on your cell phone. You'll no doubt loose your mind when you discover how jacked up the english text messaging language is!!! :)