tontotom

New Mexico Eastern Whitetail?

Hunter4life,

That's a real nice picture, thanks for sharing. Someday I'd like to hunt the NM bigger whitetails.

--Bill

I've made the trip through Cloudcroft many times, seeing whitetail many of the times.

I always wondered what kind of whitetail they could be?

Saw a huge 4 by there once, but wasn't lucky enough to snap a picture.

Made the trip through there this past weekend, and saw four whitetail does.

I'll be in Cloudcroft/Ruidoso for a week right after New Years.. I'll keep my eyes peeled while there.

We used to hunt the Weed area for turkeys and there were always rumors of TX WTs having moved into the country.. Guess it was true!

Hunter4life,

That's a real nice picture, thanks for sharing. Someday I'd like to hunt the NM bigger whitetails.

--Bill

I like that, "bigger whitetails"! I'll use that..... There's Coues and Bigger Whitetail :D Seriously though, good thread. Got a few laughs and learned something too. Bill, sitting around a campfire with you telling stories would be a treat!

Bill,

I certainly appreciate the lesson. I think we need to be more educated about these things and then act the part. I have met several long time hunters who think there are two species of whitetail in Arizona, coues and whitetail!! In fact, same goes for bears, black and brown.

According to this months "Arizona Highways" we have two species of whitetail, ranging from 125-300 pounds.

Guess I'm not looking hard enough....

According to this months "Arizona Highways" we have two species of whitetail, ranging from 125-300 pounds.

Guess I'm not looking hard enough....

I've not seen Arizona Highways this month. Did it really say "two species of whitetail?" Gosh! Not only is there just one type of whitetail in Arizona, there is only one species of white-tailed deer in the entire world. The thirty types of whitetails found across North and Central America and the nine types in South America are all subspecies of the single species, Odocoileus virginianus.

Bill Quimby

Yeah, pretty bad for AH. Author Keridwen Cornelius states " White-tailed and coues deer (a wt SUBspecies) roam the southern half of the state"

About the "125 to 300 lbs" it did say "coues white-taileds are even smaller" I didn't catch that the first time around.

heck, i bet i read or hear someone call a javelina a rodent a dozen times a year. saw some idiot on a hunting show call em that the other day. i even heard bob hirsch say it on his radio show once. misnomer on a whitetail ain't near that bad. i know folks that insist their are 2 coues deer, the regular one and the mythical "fantail". Lark.

Just bringing this back up, I'm curious if anyone has had anymore encounters or heard rumors of the bigger whitetails in NM. I'm planning this coming years hunting wishlist and want to include this type of hunt.

--Bill

Heres a thought. I have used the term Eastern whitetail on many occassions, not because I didnt know there were differant sub species of whitetail but mainly to seperate them by location from the smaller western Coues whitetail deer. So I called them eastern whitetails due to their location. To us western boys the big whitetailed deer were predominantly known to live in the eastern states, and the smaller ones (coues) lived in small pockets of the west, it wasnt to many years ago that I first heard that whitetails were migrating into montana, and other places that surprized the heck outa me. guess its kinda like saying, you have eastern boys, western boys, southern boys, northern boys, big ones, small ones, fat ones skinny ones, their all of the human race but nick named to be classified by location. Now we will just have to clarify better, eastern whitetail, canadian whitetail, western whitetail? the big ones or the little ones? texas whitetail, and now New Mexico, WOW who wooda thunk