375 7/8 bull

2010 Rutting Action

Any rutting going on yet? I'm new to bowhunting coues but have bowkilled around 30 whitetails in colorado, kansas and nebraska. I've hunted AZ twice for coues with one missed shot last Jan. again in August passing up small bucks. I'm leaving colorado this friday the 8th to come out and hunt again. Any bowhunters seeing rut action?

No deer left in AZ to rut... I would not waist the gas.... ;) :rolleyes: :P

Lil' guys are chasin'.... big guys are mostly just cruisin' and checkin'. ;)

I was told by a friend hunting a border unit that it is not happening yet (5 days ago), but a bit farther north it is going pretty well.

I was down south saturday. Small bucks with does but no pushing or chasing going on that i seen.

Was out this weekend and put a stock on a nice 3x3 real tall G2s.

He was with 5 does 1 spike and a fawn.

The spike busted me. After 3 1/2 hours I tend to lose my patience!

Also saw another 3x3 real wide on my way out, but the wind was wrong.

Rut was definately on there!

James

Seen two 4x4 mulies alone, a big fork alone and 5 herds of doe with no more than a spike with them over the weekend. :(

went glassing sunday and saw mules ruting

only coues does no bucks

Where I am hunting in SE Arizona the whitetails are not doing anything. However the muleys are going nuts.

Brian

I would say its full blown in 33, 37B, 22, and 24B the units I have been since the Jan 1

Redman

Mount Graham (unit 31) area has been fired up for at least a week. Today I saw 2 bucks going at it

and both were bloody afterwards. To bad i couldnt close the deal on the 100" loser!!!

I moved from Fort Collins a few years ago, where are you from?

Jeff

ok its been hit or miss. im hunting in 37b for some pigs ( very few of them around in the area in recent years but did see some in scouting) anyway friday night right before dark there was a 3 by 4 mulie not chasing yet but would let one doe out of his sights ;) . so saturday mourning i went out in the same area and found him again 1/4 mile away from the night before. So me being so smart i haven't bought my 2010 archery deer tag :angry: , so watched them start to bed down 300 yards away in the middle of this hill (9 am). i slipped out of there went back into town bought the tag and got back at noon. i was thinking to myself there is 5% chance i would find this buck again (hunting by myself that day as well) so started on the ridge line above were they were can't see were they bedded. can't really see the wash bottom. i checked around the bend just in case they wanted more shade. . . .but nothing jumped up. started to double back to check the wash/canyon. working my way over small fingers coming off the ridge above. coming over the last finger and see this spot (thinking to myself no freakin way! :o ) it was the big buck from this mourning (guessing 80 yards out of my range havent been shooting archery very long pretty new to it.) didn't know i was even there, but where i was in the wide open also. so im sitting there wondering where the 5 does from this mourning were. one decided to get up an hour later 25 yards in front of me and she moved down hill. i got so excited that they were all going to funnel right in front of me, and the buck is going to get up and follow. the doe vanishes and buck stays still in his bed. About 15 minutes later 4 of the does start feeding there way up the other side of the canyon just out of bow range 120 yards. finally he gets up and following one doe (just about to come into heat) and followed the others. He bed's back down in the shade while the doe watches the trail, somehow see's me sticking out! I'm in head to toe in camo . . .but no trees or cactus around me to create shadows. they didn't bust out of there but moved down the wash and up the next hill. tried another stalk got up above were i saw them last and couldn't find em again. so i was back to pig hunting (5 pm). I think i see i pig 600 yards out but not moving, decided thats not a pig and eat a power bar. once done i look to my left and 3 of the 5 does are 60 yards away across the canyon just feeding and watching me no sign of the buck. when i was walking out on top of ridgeline. (5:30 pm) i see the buck but now they picked up 4 more does. and get this two white-tail does aswell. i herd of very small numbers of white-tail in the area, but next day (sunday) we counted 8 white-tail and one was a spike by itself.

BTW- MY BUDDY AND I WENT OUT TUESDAY AND FOUND A HERD OF 10 PIG SNUCK INTO 30 YARDS, 4 OF THEM BUSTED OUT OF THERE NOT TAKING THE WHOLE HERD OUT, AND ONE PRESENTED A SHOT AT 35 YARDS BUT WHEN WE DREW BACK THEY BUSTED UP AND BOTH OF US MISSED.

So to answer your question yes they are rutting some areas hard and some not so hard.

-GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING-