Sign in to follow this  
azdesert rat

quartering too shots, ethical or not

here's the story behinde my question, i cut off a big buck running a doe (an easy 100+ buck, the buck dreams are made of) well i was watchin and the doe ran past at maby 10yrds i drew back and waited, he came thrue and stoped maby 15yrds a way, and he had me busted with my mask down, all he new was somethin wasent right, well he was quartering too prety hard, so instead of trying to sneek an arrow between the front legs i waited we stared at each other for a good 30 sec or better witch felt like a life time, i was hopin that as ive had many deer do he'd take a couple slow steps befor taking off and i could drill him broad side, instead he took off like he had a lion on his tail and i watched him run till he disapeared over a ridge, so help me out, was i right on passing on the shot or did i mess up the chance of a lifetime, i need some input its ben keeping me up at night

Depending on your setup on your bow, what kind of broadheads you're shooting etc. I would have shot in a heartbeat. At 15 yards, I would imagine one would get plenty of penetration on a coues whitetail. On an elk, I may have thought twice about it. Pretty good question to ask. You will have some who think you should have shot, others who say you did a good job on holding out. Let it be, and go get another opportunity on him ;)

If it had been me in the exact same circumstance, I'd have drilled him. I suppose you did the right thing if you were not comfortable taking the shot. I believe that if you are questioning it, then it's best not to do it.

Depends what you shoot. kinetic energy is important. Know your bow and its abilities. Elk probably would have been impossible to shoot but a deer is. Like everyone else said though, if you were unsure of it then you made the correct decision. Congrats on getting 15 yards from a good coues!

You can NEVER go wrong with passing on a shot you are not comfortable with. Since you were not comfortable you made the right choice. That said, you did NOT blow the shot of a lifetime. You will get more chances in your life. With some education and experience as well as some field tests, you may or may not change your mind the next time you are in that same scenario.

For me, with a coues buck being the game and with the arrow weight, and broadheads that I use and speeds I run them, I would have taken the shot with confidence. I would have aimed right on the shoulder to try and catch both lungs. As has been stated already, it is a much different story with elk. The hides are tougher, bones are bigger, and they have an uncanny ability to survive or at least long enough to loose them when BOTH lungs are not involved.

Get back out there and get your buck.

Doesn't matter what anyone else here would have done. If you didn't feel comforatble, you should'nt have shot. Period ;)

+1

+1

If you dont feel comfortable....dont shoot

well i wouldn't of had a problem with the shot i just thought id be beter to wait for a broadside shot, ive just ben kickin myself for not takin the shot but hine sight is 20/20, as far as my set up im still shootin my 60lb pse witch is 4 or 5 yrs old, and i shoot G5 montec's for the simple reson that with the sharpened back side if i dont get a pass through it'll slice and dice a lil beter wile roling around in the chest cavety, my other thalt was that if i hit him and couldnt finde him id tear me up to waste such a beutiful deer

Guest 300ultramag.

who is to say if u let an arrow fly u would have hit ur mark...

I would consider it a clean miss.. Ive taken that shot and that brisket is dam-n hard.. u wouldnt have retrieved him without havin a bunch of luck on ur hands..

every other goon would have let it fly.. so ur an above average bow hunter.. so in turn youll have other opps.

dont beat urself up... its all just practice any how for that coveted elk tag...

3 more weeks get back out there!!! <_<

Was always taught when in doubt hold out ! you always kick yourself after cause all the what ifs start going through your head !

well i wouldn't of had a problem with the shot i just thought id be beter to wait for a broadside shot, ive just ben kickin myself for not takin the shot but hine sight is 20/20, as far as my set up im still shootin my 60lb pse witch is 4 or 5 yrs old, and i shoot G5 montec's for the simple reson that with the sharpened back side if i dont get a pass through it'll slice and dice a lil beter wile roling around in the chest cavety, my other thalt was that if i hit him and couldnt finde him id tear me up to waste such a beutiful deer

I feel for ya!! I did the same thing on recently my rifle hunt in Mexico...waited for a better broadside shot and it didn't happen. Of course the scenario is different, but the never ending questioning yourself afterwards is the same! But I agree with what others have posted, you made the right decision for you and it's always easy to believe that if you had shot it all would have gone perfectly but we all know that isn't always the way it happens. So maybe you made the absolute correct decision, it's impossible to know.

Amanda

I know guys that would take any shot at that range but "imo" you did exactly what I would have done. There is no place in archery hunting for a low percentage shot. You did the right thing. Thanks for sharing and you will get another chance. :)

TJ

You can NEVER go wrong with passing on a shot you are not comfortable with. Since you were not comfortable you made the right choice. That said, you did NOT blow the shot of a lifetime. You will get more chances in your life. With some education and experience as well as some field tests, you may or may not change your mind the next time you are in that same scenario.

For me, with a coues buck being the game and with the arrow weight, and broadheads that I use and speeds I run them, I would have taken the shot with confidence. I would have aimed right on the shoulder to try and catch both lungs. As has been stated already, it is a much different story with elk. The hides are tougher, bones are bigger, and they have an uncanny ability to survive or at least long enough to loose them when BOTH lungs are not involved.

Get back out there and get your buck.

+1... ;)

There is no place in archery hunting for a low percentage shot.

TJ

Very well said, and I think that is applicable for rifles also. I think many let their pride get in the way and attempt "low percentage" shots.