Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Mexico Trip

Well after a few invitations and everything not coming together quite right, I finally felt ok about finances , time off etc.. and accepted an invitation to hunt Old Mexico to hunt Coues Whitetail with Clay Goldman. About 8 of us from Payson headed down Fri. morning early and crossed border with no problems around 8:30-10 am. We got to the Ranch around 1-2 pm set up camp and headed out for an evening of glassing. We figured out where everyone was hunting, I was directed to the borders of our ranch and off we went. The next 5 days were similar. Up early, great breakfast (thanks Bob) hour quad ride to hunting spot, glass a few good bucks and lots in the 85-95 range but I was holding out for a smoker buck, back to ranch after dark with another great meal prepared.

We had three tags on one ranch and three on the other. During the first three days, the other ranch produced a 110ish buck with a six inch drop and a heavy palamated buck in the 105-110" range, and a 100" buck with some cool character. ( If I get permission I'll post some pics)

I passed a couple of really good bucks that I figured would go 105 but was reluctant to shoot one too early in the hunt. I found a really big 2 point frame that would probably score 100-105 on Tues, decided to pass and then was talked into shooting at (which when I put the scope on him I was glad to do) Long story short I missed a long shot that should have been relativly easy but I made a dumb mistake in my excitement. I watched him climb a saddle about a mile away at a run.

The weather was starting to turn, with rain and fog setting in so I decided to go to an area that I had seen a really good buck around 105". We glassed for about 30 minutes, found a decent buck and then found the buck I was decided I was going to shoot. It wasn't the same buck I had found earlier but he looked to have decent mass and long G2's. With fog gathering around us and rain pouring off in the distance I decided after almost six days this would be the buck I would take home. We moved into just under 300 yards and I made a good shot. We then got packed up and headed back to the ranch house with the next day and a half spent in strong rainstorm as we cut the trip a day short and traveled home.

I had a great trip, with some great people and can't wait to make it back. Thanks Clay for the invite and for making everything flow perfectly. My buck is just under 100" I just put a rough estimate together.

There is a bunch more to the story, but as usually I don't have time to write it all up, I hope you enjoy.

Here are a few pictures

Mexicoandgun093.jpg

Mexicoandgun094.jpg

Mexicoandgun099.jpg

Lion kill buck for that had been seen last couple of years so I looked hard for him, I guess there was a reason he never turned up.

Mexicoandgun107.jpg

Congratulations! That buck sure looks like it goes higher than 100". Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Congratulations on a nice buck. Sounds like a good trip, thanks for sharing.

WTG Houston. It's about time you quit looking at the bone in peoples mouth's and went looking for some real bone. Sounds like you had a great hunt even with the weather. That was one thing that was great about when we went in December, there was great weather. Congrats on the nice buck. If you would have said it was 100 I don't think many would have argued. It looks bigger than it scores. I was sure happy to finally make the 100" club this year. The bad thing is I am already thinking about how nice it will be to make the 110. A guys gotta dream. Congraulations again! What knife did you use on him? Gotta get one of mine in a field photo and send it to me. I hope the family is all well.

Thanks guys it was a great trip. The reason he doesn't score real well is because of his lack of eye guards, when I first saw him I figured him at over 100" but when I saw he didn't have much in the way of g1's I still decided to shoot, at that point I didn't care too much.

Bob- I didn't get too many pictures in the field, I had your knife on me, but didn't take any pictures. We got rained upon pretty good headed back to the ranch.

When I score him a little more close I'll let you know, but he should be right around 97" according to my quick calculation.