Sign in to follow this  
JLW

Blind Question???

Question....

How much does it hurt your chances if you set a blind up the day your hunt begins?

After you spend alot of money on a good blind and set it up a week or so before only to have some

"Cornbagger" steal it...........We can't all afford to own 3 or 4.

I'm sure it has a negative affect but How much?

Thanks in advance for any imput.

James

jlb,

In my own hunting experience it doesnt hurt your hunting. You will just need to get in the spot a couple hours before you hunt and use good sent controle. i have had deer come by my blind ten min after i set it up.

I have had the same experience

REDDOG

In my limited experience hunting in a blind, it may have made a difference. I set up a blind last year and a great buck came in a couple hours later. He immediately looked right at the blind, but I don't know if it was because it was new, or because I didn't have it brushed in(probably the latter). I simply set it up on the end of a row of oak brush. That buck was so nervous he never watered and I never got a shot. I moved my blind over into the middle of the oak brush and two days later I arrowed that same buck. He came right in and never once looked over in my direction.

A little brushing in goes a LOOOONG way. I'm of the opinion that as long as the blind looks natural, they don't pay much attention (rather than they have every bush in the unit memorized and would notice a "new" one.)

I set my blind up opening morning and over the last 3 years I have learned alot. 1st year the bucks & does were nervous when the blind was too close. Second year I had moved the blind back and still brushed it in good and there was one buck that spooked (i didnt have the mesh down) so I put the mesh down and killed a buck 1 hour later. They pick up movement in the blind when the mesh is not lowered......... Ideally you would like to let it sit for awhile, but I cant afford to risk losing them............Allen..............

It has been my experience that you can set a blind and hunt it with success as long as you use scent control and brush it out good. Like camo, make sure it matches the surrounding area.

hello - don't own a pop-up blind but have built lots of ground blinds - brushing in is the #1 priority i my book - the more the better - I've built blinds at 1-3 in the after noon and had deer-elk-turkey walk right in front that evening- kinda like the mesh deal - always brush off the backside also - believe me if an ole hen walks by the front and stops cluckin and givin you the eye and she walks off - you passed the blind building test ! - gary

In my experience, ground blinds can be very effective on a same-day setup. I have killed a couple deer this way. Including Coues deer. I do agree with others on this thread that brushing in the blind is very important. Good luck!

jlb,

In my own hunting experience it doesnt hurt your hunting. You will just need to get in the spot a couple hours before you hunt and use good sent controle. i have had deer come by my blind ten min after i set it up.

+1

It has been my experience that you can set a blind and hunt it with success as long as you use scent control and brush it out good. Like camo, make sure it matches the surrounding area.

This is what i have experienced also.