CouesWhitetail

Lost a member of my pack

Well, let me tell you a little about my old dog, Molly.

I found her abandoned, starving and loaded with worms and mange. She was perhaps 12 weeks old and I was out javelina hunting on the San Carlos. I took her home with me and then we placed an ad in the paper to see if someone owned her. In the meantime we took her to the vet and got all the medication she needed and started treating her. After awhile a tribal member calls and says "that's our Wolfy". So we take her back to the rez and yet when we got there, they said oh, no it's not the same dog. Well, we already had another dog and she was very unhappy about us having the new little dog, so we asked the people if they wanted this puppy and they said yes. So we gave them all the medicine and explained how the mange treatments went and hoped for the best.

Maybe a week or two goes by and I stop by to check on the dog. Turns out they are not treating her well at all, but I couldn't take her with me at the time. However she was certainly ready to go home with me. When I pulled out of the driveway of their house, she chased my jeep up the road until I got onto the ramp to get on the main highway. It was heartbreaking to leave her there. I still remember seeing her in the rearview mirror trying so hard to catch up to me so she wouldn't have to stay there. Eventually Paul went back and got her. We treated all her medical problems and it was amazing how beautiful she turned out.

She loved to chase rabbits and squirrels, to swim and to dig. She chased things so hard she had to have surgeries on both her knees to replace ligaments. As she got older she had lots of arthritis and trouble jumping and running. Sometimes we had to carrying her up out of steep canyons. When she couldn't really run and she was happy, she would start to dig. It was always a good sign when she started digging at the snow or dirt.

She loved to sleep in Paul's closet in his laundry basket. She was over 15 years old when she died. She had kidney failure, along with other medical problems, and had stopped eating when we finally decided to put her down.

The day after she died I shot a javelina. Interesting circle to her life where I was javelina hunting when I found her and at javelina camp when she died.

She was my hunting buddy. If she didn't get to go with me, she always ran out to the jeep when I got home to see if I had a deer or javelina or something there. She would make it hard to hunt because, if for example, I was hunting turkey, I would try and have Paul keep her back at camp, but sometimes she would escape and run as fast as she could to find me. I remember one time when I heard something panting heavily and charging toward me while I was waiting for a gobbler to step out. I got nervous thinking a bear was coming, but it turned out to be her and she was so proud of herself for finding me. She sat as quiet as a panting, excited dog can next to me while we listened to the gobbler sound off. It didn't come in, but it was a fun morning.

She was very much afraid of guns. She loved to chase squirrels and go squirrel hunting with me, but if I shot one with a gun, she would sometimes run away and hide. When she was just a puppy someone had shot at her with a shotgun or BB gun. Years later the vet showed us the BBs that were in her when she had to get xrayed. You could feel some of them under her skin. I can't imagine shooting a little puppy....

Anyway, she had a great life with us. She hardly trusted anyone except us, so no one really got to know her as a friend like we did. She loved to sit in chairs and she carried her dogfood bowl around with her. She often would carry it full of food outside through the dog door to eat out in the back yard. Funny girl. I tried for years to get a picture of that, but never did because she would drop the bowl as soon as she saw the camera.

It hurts to let her go, but it was time and I know she enjoyed her life with us.

I made a memorial video. here is the link:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/Molly_Memorial.wmv

In case you can't see the video, here are a few photos.

post-1-1267470165_thumb.jpg

post-1-1267470225_thumb.jpg

post-1-1267470250_thumb.jpg

post-1-1267471454_thumb.jpg

she made a lot of people smile with her happy face hanging out my jeep while we drove around:

post-1-1267471532_thumb.jpg

Very tearful Amanda. She was one of a kind. Sorry for your and Pauls lost oh ya and julie.

Very moving video, thanks for sharing. So sorry for your loss. It's crazy how these animals work their way into our lives and then leave such a permanent mark on our hearts.

Very nice video Amanda! Sorry for your loss! We had to put our 15 year old brittany spaniel down last week so i know how hard it is! :(

Sorry about that is never a good thing when a big part of a family moves on

She sure was a beautifull dog and her life with you and Paul certainly shows how happy she was being in your lives. That was a beautifull memorial you did for her and I know she will be missed dearly. The love and smiles she put on your faces for 15 years will ever be etched in your memory forever. You and Paul gave her a great life and thanks for sharing a part of her with us. Peg and I send our deepest condolences.

TJ

I know it is said, that hunters are cold heartless people.... but I sure should felt my eyes filling up as read your story.... Sorry for your loss Amanda. It is truely amazing how much our pets touch our lives....

Great post and video.

Feel for your loss.

Amanda is looking for a new dog everyone. :P

You did show interest in the one in Tucson Amanda ;)

How is Julie doing without her Friend?

Great post and video.

Feel for your loss.

Amanda is looking for a new dog everyone. :P

You did show interest in the one in Tucson Amanda ;)

How is Julie doing without her Friend?

I am looking for a new dog. Julie needs a friend. She is still doing fine, but she is very social and pack oriented so she could use a friend to be here when I am not. We have been waiting for all my travel to slow down so I can be around to train a new dog. Will be visiting the pound soon....

Amanda

It's so hard to loose a member of the family like that.....I'm sorry.

Thanks for the great video.

Mark