billrquimby

WHY I WON'T GO TO MEXICO

It works out to 459 killed per month over 39 months. So far, no tourists (that I've heard about) have been caught in the cross-fire, but it will happen. That's a real war down there.

Bill Quimby

Mar. 22, 2010 05:57 PM

Associated Press

MEXICO CITY - The pre-dawn discovery of two bodies cut into pieces and shoved into two black bags brought a tragic end Monday to a search for two missing police officers in the southern state of Guerrero.

Law enforcement officials say the bagged body parts were found at 3:15 a.m. (5:15 a.m. EDT; 0915 GMT) outside police headquarters in Guerrero's capital city, Chilpancingo.

One of the victims was a regional commander, the other a state police officer. Notes written on yellow cards were attached to the bags, but police refused to disclose what they said. Drug cartel killers frequently attach messages to bodies.

In the nearby resort of Acapulco, police later found another two mutilated bodies and a threatening message outside the house of the city's former deputy traffic police chief.

The victims were identified as the former deputy chief's nephews, the Guerrero state Public Safety Department said in a statement. Police also found a message threatening supporters of the Beltran Leyva cartel, it said.

Police officers have been targets, and are sometimes complicit, in drug-related killings, which have claimed 17,900 lives since President Felipe Calderon stepped up the drug war in December 2006.

On Sunday, Rodrigo Medina, governor of the northern state of Nuevo Leon, announced that he was firing 81 state police officers suspected of corruption.

Also in Nuevo Leon on Sunday, the police chief of the city of Santa Catarina narrowly avoided being killed by gunmen believed to be connected to drug traffickers.

The assailants attacked a convoy of vehicles carrying Police Chief Rene Castillo Sanchez and other authorities shortly after the arrest of several suspected drug dealers. One of Sanchez's bodyguards was killed and three people in the convoy were wounded, said a police spokeswoman who, under department rules, was not authorized to give her name.

The Mexican military set up a checkpoint between Acapulco and the city's airport Sunday evening after a man was killed in a shootout between gunmen riding in separate vehicles.

The gunbattle followed the deaths of five men who pulled guns on each other during an early morning fight that began as an argument at a wedding Saturday night

According to the FBI that is about the same number of people murdered in the US every year (not every 3 years as your statistic was).

I wonder what the per capita ratio is? I imagine the murder rate is still higher in Mexico.

Amanda

I'm with you Bill on this one. I know there are awesome coues whitetail hunting there but I haven't seen any bigger bucks taken there than here in the good old USA. Your chances might be better of getting your biggest buck because of the shortage of hunters but the drug war is not worth your live. IMO :)

TJ

According to the FBI that is about the same number of people murdered in the US every year (not every 3 years as your statistic was).

I wonder what the per capita ratio is? I imagine the murder rate is still higher in Mexico.

Amanda

Its not even close!! Mexico is a sh*t hole....comparing the murder rate in Mexico to the US is ridiculous!

On a daily basis police and other law enforcement are found dismembered in garbage bags with notes in Mexico.....

Redman

If you ever get a chance to read a Mexican newpaper do it. The US doesnt hardly even mention what its like. It is not too uncommon when the new police chief gets brutaly murdered or publicly executed in a town. The bottom line for all the violence is that money talks, and this is drug money thats doin the talkin.

My neighbor goes fishing down in Mexico every so many months. This last time when I went over to see how they did at the lakes he told me of the trip. I could see in his face that they were glad they made it home safe. Turns out the guy they go with brought home a truck full of bullet holes this time. They went to a station to trade out some cash for pesos on the way back to fish camp the banditos came after them for there money. When they went to the local police they were told ( we are not going to do anything). They did not go back over spring break.

The big problem is half of the poilce,army and politicians are corrupt. If the drug lords kill the one's that are not corrupt, they can rule the country! Take away the drug money and you take away their power. Easier said than done, I know!

Awhile back one of the prominent Baja Racers was kidnapped by thugs posing as police. Makes me wonder if it is worth going down to anymore races, especially Ensenada, which is a holdout for those guys that dress up in black swat outfits and kidnap people.

I was told that members of the drug cartel have actually entered vehicles in the Baja Race. My friend told me that the Mexican army swarmed in on one race and arrested a cartel member at the starting line before the race started.

It makes a guy wonder, considering the amount of tourism money spent in Mexico.

Bill you can put down your Chicken Little book. I just got word from reliable sources that the sky is not falling!

The only part about going to Mexico that scares me is coming back and having to deal with our own US Customs Agents.

Haven't you heard? It's not their fault they kill each other. It's our 2nd Amendment that is causing all the problems.

90% of the killings in Mexico are a result of a minority of American's insatiable appetite for illegal crap to put in their lungs, noses and veins combined with an economy (in Mexico) with very little to offer the working class and poor.

It's all supply and demand friends. Americans stop demanding it and the problem evaporates.

Haven't you heard? It's not their fault they kill each other. It's our 2nd Amendment that is causing all the problems.

:lol: :lol:

DB, some of the things you say crack me up, but are very well said! I am one who appreciates a little sarcasm

90% of the killings in Mexico are a result of a minority of American's insatiable appetite for illegal crap to put in their lungs, noses and veins combined with an economy (in Mexico) with very little to offer the working class and poor.

It's all supply and demand friends. Americans stop demanding it and the problem evaporates.

Exactly right!

I just spent 4 days in San Filipe, Mexico. Went through Mexicali, so we had 4 checkpoint stops. Once in, once out and 2 Mexican miltary searches halfway to San Felipe. It took us 2 hours to get back into the U.S, as the line of cars was over 2 miles long.

Not to mention that while waiting we had to endure 100 various people trying to wash our car windows with greasy rags :lol: ,and selling chicklets. :blink:

I have mixed emotions. I really enjoyed my trip in Jan down there, but the coming and going left a little to be desired. I'm not entirely comfortable with the situation, you would have to live in a vacuume not to be at least a little concerned.