billrquimby

WHY I WON'T GO TO MEXICO

I would not spend a dime of my money in Mexico, for reasons other than danger.

I totally agree with Bill.Right now it is just not worth the risk.I have been going to Mexico for about 40 years and this will be the first year that I will not go.In the 70's my family and I spent one month exploring all of Baja.Another time we spent a month driving all the way to Mexico city.We have been going to Santo tomas (1 1/2 hours south of Rocky point ) twice a year to fish for sea trout.Last year was the first time that the Mexican fisherman that we have known for 25 years said do not go to caborca to get gas.He said drive the extra 1/2 to rocky point because it is to dangerous.Besides the drug wars,there are citizen's that are kidnapping people for money.All of the people that were working in the U.S.A. and sending money to family in Mexico are out of work and desperate.

Again, if we keep buying the drugs....they will keep bringing them.......so, what we need to do so they wont bring the drugs here?

Also who's being providing the drug cartels with SKS, AX-47's and grenade launchers, ammo etc? Are we giving them to them in exchange for drugs? Money is not a problem for them.

I will keep spending my money in Mexico and specially with the dentist, my kid needs a job done and even with my insurance, here in the U.S. it will still costme $5,000.00!! You know how much a root canal will cost here? Go to Mexico and 50 bucks later you are good and ready for hunting :) Well, that's just my 2 cents since it is easy for me cause I live close to the border, I know for some of you is a long drive.

When President Calderon declared war against the drug cartels the cartels answered back right away and I came up with the next conclusion and question: One, President Calderon is a guy with big b... and two.....is he going to be the "mexican JFK? I hope he wins.

Ernesto C

There are a lot of incidents you don't read or hear about. And then there are some you do. Check out this one from last year.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2009_4815295

I don't think you can say sportsmen are never bothered. Friends of mine have been robbed, and I've heard of hunters being kidnapped for ransom despite having what they thought were important connections.

Guest borderboy

I hear the "stop the demand" version all the time too. It's a valid concept IMO. But - stop the supply and the demand will decrease (at least). If there are no drugs to buy - there will be be no demand. If we can't stop one by itself - hit the other side too and meet in the middle. Attack both sides!

the drug runners get their guns from the mexican army, that is in their pocket along with the cops. where the heck you think they get em? they gonna risk getting busted getting em across the border when they can just put in an order to the local federalli that they have on the payroll. Lark.

I love it, America is at fault for wanting the drugs, America is at fault for supplying the guns. Give me a break. Bad evil America that everyone is trying to get into.

I hear the "stop the demand" version all the time too. It's a valid concept IMO. But - stop the supply and the demand will decrease (at least). If there are no drugs to buy - there will be be no demand. If we can't stop one by itself - hit the other side too and meet in the middle. Attack both sides!

Demand doesn't decrease if you stop/decrease supply....if Game and Fish slashed the number of elk tags, would less AZ hunters want to hunt elk?!?

Guest borderboy

Can't get it if it isn't there or so avaiable. The demand for drugs will never completely go away. That doesn't mean we should just pay attention to demand. There will always be meds. But "illegal" drugs will be harder to get if they are not coming in by the ton = supply.

If you keep buying a product from me I will keep producing it; but if you STOP buying it from me.....wouldn't I go some where else to sell the product? Just my 2 cents.

I want to make sure I'm not blaming any one here or pointing fingers, just mentioning what in my opinion is part of the problem.

Mexico is really bad just day before yesterday 18 people were ejecuted on different states of the country by drug cartels including one child! Bad, really bad.

Ernesto C

Have any of you seen the new "Chicken Little" movie? The sky actually WAS falling......... just a thought. It's a pretty funny movie too!

Also, many of you have mentioned that there are plenty of places here in the good 'ol USA that are worse than Mexico. Here's the MAIN difference between the two:

When I dial 911, someone's coming....... for now, anyway. That brings a little piece to my mind even when I'm stuck on the south-side of Tucson.

I've spent a lot of time in Mexico and haven't had any issues either. That doesn't mean the dial on my "vulnerability scale" isn't reading RED!

One more thing. Be careful where your motivation lies when telling people how "safe" Mexico is. Could it be that money is involved some way or another? And that's not implying anything illegal either.....

Mexico's a dump of a country.. We ALL know that. It always has been, and until the policies change, it always will be. And the only people Mexico can blame is it's very own Mexican citizens. That country is corrupt from the highest of the high, to the lowliest of peasants. Sadly, the Spanish curse is not only alive and well in Mexico (as it has always been), but it's thriving these days.

That said, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the whole world and I would live there in a heartbeat if it was a safe, 1st world country. The Mexican Pacific and Sea of Cortez coastline is my idea of heaven, that and with the seemingly endless hunting opportunites around every bend in the country.

I'm all for an onslaught of reverse immigration.. Let's swarm them with a south bound wave and take them over. They can have the frozen north.. Lord knows theres enough of them already here. I could handle a life of relaxation in Guaymas, Mazatlan or Puerto Escondido.. I'd live a happy man living on ceivche and Tecate by the ocean with the sound of waves coming through my bedroom window at night.

Mexico's a dump of a country.. We ALL know that. It always has been, and until the policies change, it always will be. And the only people Mexico can blame is it's very own Mexican citizens. That country is corrupt from the highest of the high, to the lowliest of peasants. Sadly, the Spanish curse is not only alive and well in Mexico (as it has always been), but it's thriving these days.

That said, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the whole world and I would live there in a heartbeat if it was a safe, 1st world country. The Mexican Pacific and Sea of Cortez coastline is my idea of heaven with hunting opportunites around every bend.

I'm all for an onslaught of reverse immigration.. Let's swarm them with a south bound wave and take them over. They can have the frozen north.. Lord knows theres enough of them already here. I could handle a life of relaxation in Guaymas, Mazatlan or Puerto Escondido.. I'd live a happy man living on ceivche and Tecate by the ocean with the sound of waves coming through my bedroom window at night.

I agree! It has always been my fantasy to own a nice home in Cabo Mexico and spend my days fishing, frolicking and putting a big dent in the Tecate supply!

Have any of you seen the new "Chicken Little" movie? The sky actually WAS falling......... just a thought. It's a pretty funny movie too!

Also, many of you have mentioned that there are plenty of places here in the good 'ol USA that are worse than Mexico. Here's the MAIN difference between the two:

When I dial 911, someone's coming....... for now, anyway. That brings a little piece to my mind even when I'm stuck on the south-side of Tucson.

I've spent a lot of time in Mexico and haven't had any issues either. That doesn't mean the dial on my "vulnerability scale" isn't reading RED!

One more thing. Be careful where your motivation lies when telling people how "safe" Mexico is. Could it be that money is involved some way or another? And that's not implying anything illegal either.....

At least in the USA we can carry guns and have a reasonable chance of defending ourselves in the event of a violent confrontation.

If they let us carry guns in Mexico..............?