thunderbolt

gold tips arrows

I have always used 5575 gold tip arrows and want to stay with the gold tips. .... but was thinking about switching over to the 3555 arrows. They are 2 grains lighter per inch than the 5575"s. thats 56 grains lighter for 28 inch arrows. Anyone done this switch. I was looking to pick up some arrow speed. I shoot a thunderbolt maxed at 70 pounds and it shoots 260 fps. I also use a 100 grain broadhead. Any ideas on what you guys think? Thanks in advance. JERRY

i wouldnt do it. i would just change the tip weight and thats it. ke is a lot better than speed. i would stick with what you have until you get a new bow.

...until you get a new bow.

but then he will have to change his user name :rolleyes:

You will only pick up about 9 fps, and have a little noisier bow with the lighter arrow. Dropping 15gr in point/broadhead weight may gain 2.5 fps- diddly- but moreso affect the weight-forward balance of the arrow.

Sounds like a good reason to drop $1200 on a new complete rig in that quest for speed :unsure:

speed is worth a grand! look at my signature. "something for sale" ;)

Okay 3355 will be way underspined for your bow they willl cause your bow to not perform at its best. the 5575 is where you want to be. underspined arrows wont group for your bow and at longer distances you will see a major difference. Im just the kind of person that dosent want to take that chance when the shot of a lifetime presents itself. As the other CWT member said gold tip makes an ultralight arrow that is great. i reccomend that you buy a dozen entrada 400 (those are correct spine for your bow) about 59.99 fletched. and let me tell you, you will get speed. try them they are true and will give you some speed. by switching to a even a 75 gr broadhead only gave me 5 fps more speed i would rather have more broadhead variety. Gold tip ULs are what I shoot.

"My Mathews LX is still for sale!!!"

I am still shooting the LX and think it is a very smooth drawing bow with acceptable speed (275fps @ 27.5" 65#). I have thought of "upgrading" but don't want to give up the smooth draw. The Bowtech General in nice in that respect.

I have always used 5575 gold tip arrows and want to stay with the gold tips. .... but was thinking about switching over to the 3555 arrows. They are 2 grains lighter per inch than the 5575"s. thats 56 grains lighter for 28 inch arrows. Anyone done this switch. I was looking to pick up some arrow speed. I shoot a thunderbolt maxed at 70 pounds and it shoots 260 fps. I also use a 100 grain broadhead. Any ideas on what you guys think? Thanks in advance. JERRY

Way to under spined as others have said. But there are lots of arrows out there that are spined for your 70# bow that are a lot lighter then your gold tips. If you want to stay with gold tip try the Ultralight 400's I thnk they weight close to what you are looking for. But I would go for the KE before speed.

I SHOOT PSE TO KILL MY DEER, NOT TO HOYT THEM

Or you could just Hoyt them and get an Alfaburner and have both!!! :P :lol: 287 fps with a 397 gr arrow AT 60# 73# of KE!

If you want to change your bow i would go to the PSE bowmadness i shot a mathews conquest apex and loved the smothness then when i went lokking for a new bow i couldnt find anything it would compare to with any speed. but then shot the madness xl shooting 333 ibo and its around 750 witch is pretty good compared to most bow priceas now ddays. and now im looking at the maddness xs extremly light smoth only like 312 ibo but for the price you couldnt beat it as an over all hunting bow at i believe just under 500. and about the arrows i have done it groups lack after 45 for me but most archers get within that when hunting so i say go for it and try but they may not paper tune.

i would try the 7595 apg pro hunters, i too was stuck on speed for about a week until i hated archery.. now im a KE junky..... once you see how forgiving and quieter a heavy arrow is you will never go back... but i guess i shoot a hoyt too so... it might just be the bow.... ;) i think a great saying goes i would rather have a slow hit then a fast miss.... but then again, shot what works best with you bow..

Thanks guys for all your responses. i think im gonna just stick with the 5575 for right now. i was just looking for a little more speed, but not much. im gonna look into them ultra lights 400 . Thanks again for all ur responses. oh and yes i would love to purchase the bow madness bow. very smooth.

I love listening to the KE guys and the Speed guys battle it out :D Kind of reminds me of the TDS guys verses the Click guys on the long range discussions. Who's right and who's wrong???

Any way you look at it there are always pro's and con's with the set up you will choose. There may not be one perfect hunting rig, but there are always some that will suit you and your style of hunting better than others. I for one like speed! I'm flinging a 363 grain arrow at about 330 feet per second and generating nearly 88 foot pounds of Kenetic Energy. To me the advantage with this set up is that it is very flat shooting and affords me more margin for yardage errors. Even at longer distances the arrow still maintains more than enough KE to kill elk sized animals. JMO... to each his own I guess :)