I have been meaning to do this for some time now.

The first is a 300gn Barnes expander MZ from a young 4x5 bull at 172yards.

The other is a Hornady 240gn HP XTP from a cow at 70 yards. A before and after.

I am facinated with 'ballistics' and the post effects of a bullet when I can recover them.

:ph34r:

it won't let me upload pics. I don't get it sometimes I can upload no problem others nothing. It says "You did not select a file to upload" :angry:

My dad found a 180gr accubond in the dirt after a complete pass through on a coues, thats the only accubond Ive ever recovered. It looked just like the comercials say it should. I have my 243 100gr core-lokt from my cow thats 14 years old. It does look like the deadliest mushroom in the woods. Ill see if I cant find it.

I recovered a 300 wsm 180 grn Win Silver Ballistic tip from a Coues in Dec 08. It was licking its side, the bullet passed thru its throat, expanded and entered its rib cage on the right side then lodged itself in its left hip socket. He dropped like a sack of spuds. I shot him from 300 yards.

My son shot his first deer last Oct with his 243. He double lunged it but the bullet was stuck between the skin and ribs on the other side. That buck went 15 yards and dumped over.post-3516-1273877360_thumb.jpg

From left to right:

30 cal Hornady AMAX 155 grain (sitka blacktail), 30 cal Barnes XBT 180 grain (arctic moose), 30 cal Nosler ACCUBOND 200 grain (dall sheep)

HPIM16931.JPG

I have three recovered slugs in my collection.

Left: 145gr 7mm Speer Grand Slam (7mm Rem Mag) recovered just under the skin from the back of the ham on a coues deer. (bullet entered opposite front shoulder.)

Center; 165gr .308 Nosler BT (300 Win mag) recovered form the stomach cavity of a Texas feral hog (Bullet entered front shoulder)

Right: 9mm jacketed bullet that went through my roof and into my bedroom on New year's eve '02. My girlfriend and i were on the bed at the time... scared the heck out of us! We've moved out of town since then!

post-87-1275627895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have actually found a total of 5 bullets in my hunting career. The first was a .308 Sierra Gameking from about 75 yards. Passed through the heart and found it on the opposite side. No pix and dont know where it is.

Recovered a bullet from a Coues deer, put it on top of the ice chest and my dad flung it open and never did find it.

Recovered a Accubond from my December buck. .270 wsm from about 35 yards. I think something like 62% retention. Think I have a picture.

Recovered two TTSX from Africa. One is 167 grains, the other is 156.

AFRICA2010230.jpg

I'll play. I keep all the bullets I recover if i can.

100_0397.jpg

Top Row, Left to Right

Two 180 Barnes X, rutting bull elk at 40 yards, 300 Win Mag. Fired into the south end of a wounded north bound bull elk. One recovered from neck and one recovered from front shoulder. This NOT a high percentage shot, and the field dressing is not for the faint of heart.

130 Barnes X, cow elk at 10 yards, 264 Win Mag. Bullet shed every petal and stopped on the ball socket in the offside shoulder.

Middle Row, Left to Right

180 Partition, cow elk at 200 yards, 308 Win. Bullet entered the onside ribs and stopped forward of the offside shoulder.

140 Accubond, cow elk, 300 yards, 260 Rem. Bullet entered the onside ribs and smashed the offside shoulder to pieces.

105 CoreLokt, coues buck, 150 yards, 243 Win. Recovered from offside shoulder/neck.

Bottom Row, Left to Right

230 Federal Hydra Shok, cow elk, less than 1 yard, 45 ACP. Bullet entered behind left ear, stopped under offside hide.

40 Grain White Value Box Winchester HP, tree squirrel, 40 yards, . Bullet entered chest and stopped in spine.

Unknown, .308. Bullet was encapsulated in fatty gristle, partially broken down and corroded, dead center in the backstrap of a cow elk. Best we can figure the cow was shot in the backstrap, likely as a calf, by a bullet exiting a cow standing in front of her. Bullet was maybe 3" under the hide and there was no apparent other damage. We were slicing up straps and found it.

FWIW, of all the game we've taken, over a 25 year period, the 6.5mm 140 Nosler Accubond has accounted for more DRT one shot kills than all the others... of course recoil is non-existent with a 260, so shot placement by shooters of both sexes and all ages was STELLAR in every case.

I don't mean to hi jack this thread but mattman can you please tell the story or the 45acp please please. I'm a huge hand gun hunting fan

Not much of a story. Popped a cow right behind the ear at near point blank range... sure didn't waste any meat.

I'm a handgun fan too, and wish something other than rodents could get some HAM love in AZ. ;)

I just picked this one up today. When I turned my buck over to WGP for processing, I told them the bullet might very well be in the buck. I thought it would be in the gut pile and left on the mountian.

Got it home, and was impressed... Perfect performance and still 99.7 grains... Not bad considering it started life at about 3500 FPS and the shot was 291 yards.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTctMjAxMDEyMjktMTIyNS5qcGc.jpg

Here is a 180 grain Barnes TSX recovered from a bull elk...bullet blew out lungs and was recovered above opposite shoulder. I made the load for a MDL 70 featherweight .308 for a youngster.

post-2628-0-35445300-1318375565_thumb.jpg

post-2628-0-53429800-1318375599_thumb.jpg

This is a Barnes TSX, 250gr., 9.3 caliber bullet from a 9.3x62 rifle. The bullet was recovered from a cow bison.

DSC00399.jpg

• Like 1