coues7

Did anyone see or get a bear this

Well did anyone go out bear hunting this weekend? It was a hot son of a gun. I have a late whitetail tag so I figured I'd just go bear hunting. Did see some sign but no bears.

anybody that'd hunt bears during this kinda weather needs to be examined. heck, it's too hot to swim. i know too. biggest bear i ever shot was in weather like this. 7'6", probly over 450 lbs. shot him in a prickly pear patch. he was literally as fat as a pig. didn't have any backpacks. while we were packin' out the quarters, it was so hot that the fat would melt and run down your back and then set up like candle wax. had bear fat dribbled all the way down my back to my shoes. my wife had to take a butter knife and scrape it offa me and then hosed me off in the yard, before i'd even go get in the shower. true story. don't hunt bears when it's hot. it's a miserable experience. Lark.

...my wife had to take a butter knife and scrape it offa me and then hosed me off in the yard, before i'd even go get in the shower.  true story.  don't hunt bears when it's hot.  it's a miserable experience.  Lark.

You shower?

while we were packin' out the quarters, it was so hot that the fat would melt and run down your back and then set up like candle wax.  had bear fat dribbled all the way down my back to my shoes.

That had to be the aliens pouring grease on you, Lark :ph34r:

Seen some bear sign but no bears, a buddy of mine seen a bear on Friday and again on Saturday. Too bad bear season wasn't open in that unit. I'm done huntin' deer this year, so next weekend will look for some bears. I think I'll look in the acorns and try to stay out of the heat as much as possible.

I did see some sign in the oaks but didn't see a bear. a guy shot a big bear up the canyon from us though. then some other guys beat us to a spot where we wanted to be and they said they saw a bear there .

Yes,

Friday afternoon in the oaks in 27, I put a stalk on him and he disapeared like they usually do in the oaks, he was probably there but it was thick and got dark on me quick once I got down in the bottom where he was at. Then Saturday I spent all morning stalking, videoing and subsequentially packing out an antelope buck with my uncle in unit 1. Saturday afternoon I saw no bears but lots of sign. All day Sunday I chased goats with my buddies again. There were alot of goofballs archery hunting the all but imaginary mule deer herd in the North end of unit 27. The bear I saw was way off in the bottom of a roadless hole, I think the people presence probably pushed him there. He was a nice one, I wish he would have poked his head out once I got down there.

Bret M.

ya my freind helped with treeing 2 bears and taking one of them in unit 1 and 3 weeks ago helped take one in 4b also another buddy saw 2 bears in 7 east on saturday. and scouting in 23 2 weeks ago I saw a ton of sign on some water holes.I'll be there friday through tuesday hoping one comes in mike

A friend of mine saw 2 bears on friday. He was hunting on the San Fransico Peaks by Flag. He called one in around 8:30 and walked up on one around 10:00. Of course he did not have a bear tag or a camera on him. He did have his cell phone and called me both times. The bear he called in came in in 7 minutes. The bear stood up when it was about 10 yards away. My friend said it was as tall as him, about 6'. The second bear was about 70 yards away and was turnig rocks over looking was food. Amazing day. Too bad he had no tag or camera!

I was out scouting a few weeks ago and walked up on a bedded bear. He was about 15 yds away, watched me for a few seconds and then ran straight up the steep slope and circled around to run right by TAM. It was a smaller adult bear, probably a sow. Pretty cool experience though.

Hunted up high for two days. Tryed lots of callin and got my boy's some gun time. Seen some good sign in our second area (4b), but needed more time to entice the bruins in! Low and behold our neighbor had a big boar walk up on him and his dog while standing in their backyard! Now thats dumb luck, and one heck of a backyard that borders the National Forest.

We got two really nice boars in 27 this weekend. Not much bear activity at all, we just persisted thru that aweful heat and got lucky. Both bears we got were in the pears. Another hunter in camp missed shots at 2 different chip shots at bears and went home empty handed. We'll be out again over the weekend and then I'll be able to log some serious hours in my treestand for some bucks.

post-3-1125461345.jpg

Here's the other one. This one scores around 20 1/4" green. He was older than the hills I think, his teeth were mostly gone and what was there was busted and nasty. His eyes were getting that white cloudy look to them. With that big hump on his back he looked like a grizzly walking across the slopes. Enjoy

post-3-1125461681.jpg