Dodge66

What maps do you Use?

+1 for a 7.5 min topo map from the USGS, a 1:24,000 UTM Grid scale and a good compass. I do like using my GPS for finding the truck after dark though.

• Like 1

+2 on USGS 7.5 Topos

I have the Nat Geo and Garmin software, and I still resort back to the topos. I use only UTM coords.

I also use Nat Forest Maps, and BLM land use maps.

• Like 1

+2 on USGS 7.5 Topos

I have the Nat Geo and Garmin software, and I still resort back to the topos. I use only UTM coords.

I also use Nat Forest Maps, and BLM land use maps.

Hey Matt,

Why do you go back to the USGS topos? The National Geo program has all the USGS topos in it. I only use UTMs too and you can do that with the National Geo program.

Amanda

I have to put a plug in for Delorme's Topo maps and XMap. XMap is a professional program and probably does more than we hunters need. Topo does a good job with the 7.5s and communicates well with Garmin GPS imots. You can even use these programs "live" with a laptop so someone can navigate while you drive. This is very helpful in confusing areas or at night.

If you print your maps on water proof paper, you now have a convenient waterproof way to carry maps in 8.5x11 instead of that big rolled or folded 7.5. This year I am going to try using my Iphone in the woods with a Topo app I paid $10.00 for that includes access to all the Topos in the US. In testing it works well; slower, not as accurate as a GPS, poor battery life and not water proof. But oh my that big color screen and real 7.5s.

Have fun and good luck,

Yea Amanda I could, but I hate computers. Besides, someday I am going to auction off all my maps and become a gazillionaire - or at least make enough money to buy a box of shells.

• Like 1

I like huntunit.com @ http://www.huntunits.com/arizona ...They have unit information that give a good description of the unit.

Also if you have a Garmin GPS you can go to AZG&F and download topo maps to it or get the directions and do it at home. They have the directions to download for free. After I went to Tucson office and downloaded the maps to my rhino530's I took the directions home and updated my base maps on my laptop. Not sure if al AZG&F offices have this but at the Tucson office you can. It has tobe Garmin

FOR 30$ I made a coustom map at mytopo.com ..

You can also go to the BLM web site and get topo maps for the area you want to hunt really cheap. sure it paper but the batteries to die. I still use a gps but having a paper map is some thing you can study in camp than install the number on your gps and go to your location.

There are a few online services that will show you topo maps for anywhere in the USA and, believe it or not, are 100% free for non-commercial use. The following link uses Gmap4 and shows a high resolution topographic map for part of Arizona Unit 22 along with a UTM grid.

http://www.mappingsu...de=18&coord=utm

To see a different location try Menu ==> Search. You can search on addresses, many place names and most reasonable ways to write a latitude longitude.

To see the Google aerial click (in upper right corner) 't4 Topo High' ==> Satellite.

OK, full disclosure time. I'm the developer of Gmap4 which is showing you the topo maps. The homepage has a FAQ and examples to quickly get you up to speed.

Want to show your GPS data on the topo map? Sure, you can do that with Gmap4. Want to click the map and save your work as a GPX file? Yup, you can do that and more. Check out the features under the Menu button.

This project is part of my way of 'paying it forward'. Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use.

Note: In some areas the high res "t4 topo high" maps use yellow instead of green to indicate forest. If that is a problem try switching to the medium resolution "t2 MyTopo" maps.

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsu...om/p/gmap4.html

Enjoy!

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

I've been using the Nat Geo TOPO! maps for years. They've been completely compatible with both Garmin GPS units I've used - the Etrex Vista and now the GPSMap 60 CSX - both uploading and downloading. Pretty much does everything I need it to do.

If you are after paper maps go to Flatline Maps. They sell maps by the units that you want and they are bullet proof. Some of the guys that i hunt with instantly bought them once they saw them. I'm not sure if they are a sponsor on the site or not but I do know they had a deal on here last year helping out Josh with his wife. They are still working on getting more units but have a pretty good list so far. Great maps!

http://www.flatlinemaps.com/

• Like 1

Gaia Maps is $40 for the year and you have access to all the above maps and can save them offline on any of your devices. It all syncs so you can scout and mark on your computer and then all the waypoints and routes and photos are pushed back and forth. 

Ownership and public land layers, as well as shaded topo and USGS, UFS, and high level satellite!