loco4coues

Hunting out of a blind

First up I walk the water, either dirt tank or guzzler, and see where the game seems to be coming in for the most part. I will walk the fence perimeter and see where game is jumping the fence, usually a couple different spots and they really like corners. Then I look for a bush or tree within shooting distance, but not too close, then figure out where to set my chair and string my burlap. I will get old limbs and sticks and whatever I can find within packing distance and build up the front so it breaks up my outline, dig out a flat spot for my chair and clean up anything that may make noise if I kick it or snag it. Then it is just a matter of sitting. I try to wait until the deer has dropped his head to drink before I draw and shoot. I like to sit about 40 yds from water on a guzzler, this distance allows you to get some movement in without being caught if there are multiple deer.

• Like 1

I'm a big believer in blinds - moreso than treestands. Maybe I'm too ADHD to sit a treestand all day without moving around, but a good blind conceals your movements, and holds in scent remarkably well. They're especially good for kids, because they can fidget around as long as they are quiet and not get picked up by animals.

As for brushing them in, it's just a matter of breaking up the outline, keeping it from looking unnatural. Stick to the shadaows, pile some branches around the front and top of the blind. Just enough to break up the shape.

As for leaving them, well, my Double Bull Matrix blind is probably the best piece of hunting equipment I've bought in a long time, so I won't leave it somewhere that it could be stolen. I think the best approach, if you are hunting an area where someone might find it, is to buy an "el cheapo" blind, brush it in at least a week before season, then a day or two before the season when you can monitor the traffic in and out, take down the cheap one and put up the one you want to hunt out of.

• Like 1

Good posts fellas. I have 3 days of hunting coming up this August. I am going to sit in a blind the first day. If i have no luck I may post up somewhere. I was in one last year for one day. After reading this post I see now that we must have stood out pretty bad. We had no brush around us at all. We had a coyote come in to drink at 20 yrds and he busted us because the canvas was shaking with the wind.

I was being taken out by a guy that I just met so I din't want to tell him that I had a better idea. He was so nice to take me out. The other issue that hasn't been addressed yet is the temps can feel higher in a blind depending on air flow.

I also have built a blind with my son here in MAricopa Az just out of brush. I use it to call Coyotes. I put a pair ofboxers and socks that I have wore in it for a week or two to get then used to my scent. Thats a time when i could not afford scent blocker. Just my 2 cents.

I must say that I have hunted with TJ and consider him a master when it comes to blinds. I would value any tips that he is willing to share. TJ has shot about every animal that we can hunt out of a blind and he has helped me with his hunting skills.I can't say enough about the knowledge that he has shared. coues4ever

I use a quick portable set up to sit an isolated tank or trail coming in if the situation is right - find a spot brush it in and wait. I'll be hunting pinon/juniper canyon country this year and have noticed while scouting he wind is very irregular. The thermals go down in the morning, then up with the heat, then back down in the evening, plus seem to swirl in any direction all day long. Any tips for find the right spot on a tank for wind without a scent controlled blind setup? Do you adjust your spot with the wind throughout the day or stick with just one the whole time? Curious how to counter this wind...

6-7 weeks in advance. I spray it with Primos earth scent waterproof product.

Azp&y

I must say that I have hunted with TJ and consider him a master when it comes to blinds. I would value any tips that he is willing to share. TJ has shot about every animal that we can hunt out of a blind and he has helped me with his hunting skills.I can't say enough about the knowledge that he has shared. coues4ever

I'm not sure I'm the right TJ but if I am that is very flattering. I have helped a few guys over the years and thanks for the kinds words. I take great pleasure helping and forwarding on my experiences and hope it helps to some degree. All I want to do is help someone be successesful in harvesting an animal.

Coues4ever............Not sure who you are, but thanks for the kind words.

TJ

I have been hunting out of ground blinds for many years and have killed my share of critters. I don't know anyone who has sat the hours I have and I'm not saying I'm an expert with a blind but I do feel I have earned the right to at least comment on a few things that might help you.

Deer seem to be the most spooked by a new setup.

Turkeys are the least wary of a blind.

I never put the blind up without brushing it in.

On spots I've worked over the years I have built large blinds that stay year round and I put my blind in those a week or two before the season starts. If these spots start showing alot of foot traffic then I might wait till the night before. Remember the original blind has been there year round. My shooting window is a very small opening. I plan all my shots between 10 and no farther than 20yrds max.

I use a Harbor Freight moving blanket for the flooring to keep noise down and a comfortable armchair so I can sleep without falling out.

You can actually get up and move around while game is in front of you and they will not spook as long as you are quiet. Being that close you do need to use some sort of scent.

When the wind is blowing and the rain is poring down you can't beat the blinds.

They are not over rated. :)

TJ

Great info TJ, I took your advice a couple weeks ago and bought one of those moving blankets. Are you hunting this august?

Not sure yet. My work has really been crazy. If I can be of some help just let me know. The more hours you sit the better your odds are that something will walk in. This has been my experience. PATIENCE

• Like 1

How far will you carry a blind? I will be doing a backpack hunt in January and would love to hunt from some sort of ground blind. Thinking that a burlap/brush blind will be more practical.

hello - never sat in a pop-up but i can't even count all the groundblinds I've built in the last 30 yrs. some are still around and will be used agin this year . I've gone into a tank at noon and dug out a spot - brushed it in and had turkeys - deer and elk all show-up and walk with-in 10-20 yrds of the front of blind - that same evening .

One of the main items some people may forget is which way the wind is blowing - in the evenings it usually blows the same way dday in and day out --just like hunting you need to be set-up down wind of the general direction from which you expect them to show - now I know thats not always possible - so while in the blind I crush the needles of the pine or the juniper or oak or sage and rub it around and on my camo's to help mask the scent -

it may be back a ways from a tank or on a fence line crossing or along a travel route - each hunting set-up is different - sometimes right in the berm of the tank !

have fun this season - let the little guys walk - drop the biggen's - hunt safe - gary

I'm not sure I'm the right TJ but if I am that is very flattering. I have helped a few guys over the years and thanks for the kinds words. I take great pleasure helping and forwarding on my experiences and hope it helps to some degree. All I want to do is help someone be successesful in harvesting an animal.

Coues4ever............Not sure who you are, but thanks for the kind words.

TJ

Ok Larry, what is it you want? Just kidding! I didn't know that was your member name and thanks for the kind words. I'm really not that deserving of all that.

That was so nice of you to take your cooker up to the youth training outing last month and do all that cooking. Wished I could have been there along side of ya. Everyone involved with putting that together was very appreciative of your services. Is appreciative actually a word? LOL :D

TJ