Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Montana Summer Adventures

Here are some pics taken during my travels. I will post more in the future.

A nice 20" Yellowstone River Cutthroat that I caught and released unharmed. All Cutthroat Trout in YNP must be released. The Yellowstone lake/River Cutthroat trout have been severely affected by the lake trout infestation,whirling disease, and a lack of water in the spawning tributaries. I remember the days you could look out into the clear water of the Yellowstone river and see the trout laying in there in good number. Not anymore!

The day I was fishing the Yellowstone, a 65 year old fisherman drowned just down the river from me. He floated 5 miles before he was found face down in the water in Hayden Valley. Alot of people underestimate the power of the currents in these big rivers.

A momma moose and her calf, not far from where I live. I saw them lying in a grassy drainage, and snuck as close as I could without upsetting her. Cow moose are very protective of their young, and you don't want to get too close.

A small antelope buck crawling under a fence in the Madison valley

A small pond(fishless) not far from where I live.

The Madison river after it comes out of the canyon and then broadens out into the Madison Valley.

Mountain Goats up in the high cliffs above the Madison river between Hebgen and Quake Lake. The picture quality is not good, but it was as close as I could get with the digital zoom.

Madison Range Mountains

The Gallatin River runs along some of the highway on the way to Bozeman.

The Gibbon River inside YNP

Hebgen Lake is 16 miles long. This is just a small part of it.

Went to a 4th of July Party after work, at the Longhorn Saloon, just down the road. The band "Snake Bones" was playing on the outdoor stage.

Quake Lake was formed in the earthquake of 1959 when a whole mountainside slid down into the Madison river. There are still lots of dead tree's in the water, but there is good fishing here, but you really need a boat for this lake.

An adult "Salmonfly". These bugs are 3" long and they crawl from the water as a nymph and shed thier shucks and fly away to mate and lay more eggs in the water. The trout will gorge on them until they will no longer eat. It is fun to fish a big fly that you can actually see on the water :lol:

This is my "little buddy" he lives by my trailer and I feed him some bread. I am trying to get him to take it from my hand but he will only come within 2 feet of me.

Madison River.

Absolutley beautiful area. Makes me jealous as I set here in my cubicle stuck behind a computer all day! :(

Thanks for sharing.

What a great way to spend a summer. Really great pictures-thanks for sharing. I will be in Montana in a couple of weeks-Some friends and I are going to do a week long pack trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness area and catch some Westslope cutts on the fly-problem is that I then have to come back and go back to work in my office-I like your office a lot better. Thanks again for sharing and please send more pics when you can ;)

Awesome scenery! Yellowstone is next on our vacation list. Bet it is going to be hard to go back to AZ.......... <_<

Great pics Brent. You're in a better place than I am that's for sure. One of these days I'm heading north. Keep the pictures coming. Take care! :)

TJ

so can you tell me where you are staying at. My wife has 6 years till retirement and we are hoping to head out for summer months. I do love the upper Madison valley area.

Thanks for all the great comments. :)

It is very nice being up here in the summer, and I may become a permanent resident in the next year or two. I am kinda burned out of living in the desert. I don't know what is worse, the Arizona heat, or the Montana winter? Time will tell.

Today, the Cafe ath the resort was closed by the health department. There has been a virus or something going around and alot of people around here, icncluding myself have gotten sick. I had to go to Ennis this afternoon to leave a little soemthing from my inside to test :( , we are not allowed to work or reopen the restaurant until the bug is pinpointed.

This is not a localized situation, other areas have been infected also. Besides my fulltime day job, I also work 4 nights week at a bar and Grill down in the Madison valley, and I am not allowed back until I test negative for the Campo something or other virus. One of my coworkers was tested positive and she is on antibiotics and out of work until she retests negative. Alot of people have been sick.

Well, I no longer work for the Lodge. The health department shut them dowm for an unknown period of time because of E-Coli, and Campobackter(?) found in the well water. They have to put in a new well and septic-leach field. Their season is pretty much ruined.

I will be renting an RV spot at one of the local campgrounds and looking for a new day job, even though I still have my night job.

Had dinner next too, and chatted with one of our local celebrities who lives around here. He will be on the show "psyche" on August 18th. I will let you figure out who it is ;)

I am putting together somemore photos and will post soon. The RV park I am going to has WIFI, so I can get on the internet more frequently.

Did I tell anyone about the mosquito's and deer flies up here! Nasty little buggers!

I went fly fishing on the Madison down by Ghost Village yesterday, and forgot to spray myself......................... :blink:

The deer flies were so insane they chased me right off the river. But I did land 4 rainbows and a dozen whitefish. My hands are pretty swollen today from fly bites.

Now let me tell you about these dang whitefish........................................ :lol:

I think fall is coming quick to Montana. Had Ice on my windshield, and there is a skiff of snow in the high country from a storm that came through. 28 degrees the other morning. They thought a tornado came through West Yellowstone on Saturday, about 2 hours after I left town. It blew roofs off and broke alot of tree's. Turned out to be microburst type winds.

Compiling some more pics to post. The aspen should be turning color soon and make for some good pics. Elk will be bugling soon.

Heading for Ennis this weekend for the Flyfishing festival. Seminars, raffles, entertainment etc.

Nice cutt and as beautiful as ever.

The skeeters were relentless on a hike to Cascade lake one year. Can't outrun em with a full pack either.

How long are you staying up in the Yellowstone area?