Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

New rifle question

I am in the market for a new rifle, trying to decide between two rifles, just looked at a winchester model 70 and a tikka t3. I dont know anything about the tikka but i like the weight on it, but i like winchesters as well. Any expierience with either, thanks Daniel

I have the Tikka T3 in a 300wsm, and love it. It shoots sub MOA with 18gn Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. Great rifle. Only complaints have been with their customer service, since they are now imported by Beretta. I ordered an extra mag from Beretta and it showed up 13 months later. I had given up and bought one off of Gunbroker. ($60.00 for a plastic mag also :angry: ) But it shoots great. I put a Limbsaver butt pad on it too, it kicked something fierce being so light.

I dont know much about the Winchester.

I have to go sight mine back in, I changed scopes, if you want to shoot one before you drop down the $. Let me know.

I was leaning towards the tikka just for the weight, it feels great in hand and looks good to boot, my buddy has it and also put the limbsaver pad on it. I already have my long range gun and want something light to carry. btw its the tikka t3 hunter with the walnut stock.

Research them both as much as you can. Nothing like buying a rifle off of a couple of positive magazine reviews and then finding out that the real life reviews of the gun aren't so great. There are a bunch of sites that have free forums where you will find reviews of both rifles.

At the end of the day, you have to be confident that you made the right choice ... confidence usually translates into better shooting ... at least it does when there is nothing wrong with the firearm.

Good luck.

I think you have definately chosen a great all-around cartridge, but maybe not for a light pack-in gun. And since you specifically called out 2 rifles I don't have experience with, I didn't reply earlier. However, you might look really closely at the Remington 700. This is the action many custom rifles are built upon, and for a good reason. Best action available today.

I also wouldn't overlook the Savage Model 14 classic. Great wood, decent action, great barrell, and probably the best trigger available on a non-custom gun - and sells for a lot less $$ leaving more money for a good scope.

Whatever gun you choose, put a good scope on it, and a good recoil pad. Anything .300 is gonna have some bite, and any .300 magnum is going to try to punish you. I wouldn't recommend a light gun with that caliber. Not to sidetrack your post, but if I were going to go for a light "pack gun", it would be in .270 WSM at max, but probably something in the 6mm or 25's. Maybe a .257 Wby or WSM.

Light guns generally don't do as well with big, .30 cal magnums as they do with 6mm, .270 or .257 - just my opinion.

Whatever gun you choose, put a good scope on it, and a good recoil pad. Anything .300 is gonna have some bite, and any .300 magnum is going to try to punish you. I wouldn't recommend a light gun with that caliber. Not to sidetrack your post, but if I were going to go for a light "pack gun", it would be in .270 WSM at max, but probably something in the 6mm or 25's. Maybe a .257 Wby or WSM.

Light guns generally don't do as well with big, .30 cal magnums as they do with 6mm, .270 or .257 - just my opinion.

+1 Nail ... head ... hammer Good advice Coach

Why not replace the Kimber you had... You know I have nothing but positives to say about the Kimber 300 wsm I took to Africa.

i'd get the winchester but if i wanted a .300 i'd go with the ol' win mag, instead of the short mag. tikka's are ok rifles, but the ones i've been around are really light and have a real feroscious kick. a simms will settle em down quite a bit, but they still hammer ya. i like the wincheter action a lot better than the rikka. h e l l, i like the winchester better than any of em. Lark.

i'd get the winchester but if i wanted a .300 i'd go with the ol' win mag, instead of the short mag. tikka's are ok rifles, but the ones i've been around are really light and have a real feroscious kick. a simms will settle em down quite a bit, but they still hammer ya. i like the wincheter action a lot better than the rikka. h e l l, i like the winchester better than any of em. Lark.

Lark,

You mean to tell me you can actually feel recoil? HelI I thought you were way too tough to feel any recoil. Guess I have to find a new super hero.

You are still my favorite banjo player though :D

I didn't know you went that way Casey. Going to have to think twice about ever sharing a camp with you. I'm just not into squealing pigs.

I thought about replacing the kimber, but dont have the funds at this time, I got the scope for it already just need the gun ha ha, for some reason i thought i had heard that winchester had some problems recently in thier rifles so im kinda not sure yet.

I didn't know you went that way Casey. Going to have to think twice about ever sharing a camp with you. I'm just not into squealing pigs.

No squealin... He just makes purty music with his banjo!

Save up and replace the Kimber...