Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Something wrong with this cow elk

I have had my camera out for a month. The date is a month behind. This cow elk has a LARGE mass on her chest and something wrong with her back left knee. I only got 3 pics of her, She is ALOT skinnier that the others. What do you all think. If there are any G&F people looking would love to get your opinion

post-3620-1280890525_thumb.jpg

post-3620-1280890561_thumb.jpg

post-3620-1280890712_thumb.jpg

From the dates on your photos (assuming they're both a month behind), that lion doesn't seem to be interested in helping mother nature take care of that cow!

Are you anywhere near a major road? I wonder if she got hit by a car? Look at that tumor like bulge under her chest. Like it is full of fluids...perhaps blood from internal bleeding.

I feel really bad for her. I will forward this to some AGFD folks and see what they think about it.

Too much chicken scratch, corn,brown sugar, salt,

alfalfa, and too many mineral blocks. Oh and too much city water packed in to the camera site

Cancer looks like a large mass between the front legs and obviously something wrong with the back leg. IMO she still should be somewhat healthy with a broken leg but she looks bad. Like stated above maybe a car.

I shot an elk that had a rear leg like the one in the picture, upon skinning her, I found that the scar tissue was around the knee ligaments and really no sign of abnormality with the bones so I assume it was a ligament tear in the back knee. Either that or she's suffering from extreme estrogen and sprouting a single XXL breast

Are you anywhere near a major road? I wonder if she got hit by a car? Look at that tumor like bulge under her chest. Like it is full of fluids...perhaps blood from internal bleeding.

I feel really bad for her. I will forward this to some AGFD folks and see what they think about it.

Great move on your part!

Funny, you got Handi-Cow, I think I have the same cow, just without the tumor. It's always by itself, and the bum leg looks longer than the other one.

But I do know that there's no big coues deer around there :lol:

Actually, it would be better if it was a big coues buck instead of handi cow.

Good luck.

post-1212-1280941103_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1280941243_thumb.jpg

Are you anywhere near a major road? I wonder if she got hit by a car?

There is a road just under a 1/2 mile away. Its a small road and you can not go fast on it due to truns and bumps.

I asked our wildlife veterinarian to look at the photos, and she concluded, similar to several of you, that this was likely due to a vehicle collision, although it may have been from some other sort of trauma. To quote her:

"There are at least two things wrong with the animal the left rear leg is either broken or dislocated near the hock or the Achilles tendon is disrupted or both and there is a large swelling in left axillary area that extends to the ventral chest. My bet is that she has been hit by a vehicle but there could be some other source of injury."

You can tell she is a vet because she uses big words like axillary and ventral that makes me use the dictionary.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief