Sign in to follow this  
metau

First Trail Cam Pics---Shooter?

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is he a shooter?

• Yes
    • No
    • Good enough for your first elk

Went scouting for my archery hunt this past weekend, left a camera out & managed to snap a picture of this guy for my first animal pics.

Also managed to see another 100 elk or so over the weekend, with one bull larger than this, and a bunch that were smaller.

Elk1.jpg

Elk2.jpg

He's not a monster, but if he steps in front of you with your bow in hand, he's good enough for your first elk. As you know, there are a lot of smaller bulls around. He's bigger than my rifle bull from nine, ten, or was it eleven years ago (the last time I drew a tag). Good luck.

Are you kidding me? Yes he is a shooter! Don't let all the big elk pictures on here distract you from your first elk. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with passing on elk of that size if that's your goal but don't let that influence you from harvesting that bull. Post the pictures after your hunt. Good luck! :)

TJ

there are a couple of units i might wait on a monster.

And this, I think, is one of those units. I have gotten lucky on a few cow elk with a rifle before, but this is my first bull tag and first archery elk tag. I don't know how I managed to draw it this year, and I doubt I'll draw it again for many years to come, so letting him grow will be for someone else. Though another two years would produce one heck of a bull.

What size elk are you looking to kill and what do you think he scores. I've got one of those tags too this year and he wouldn't be a first week shooter in my book. Though my buddy would shoot him in a second. Keep in mind that most of the hunters out there will never see a bull that big and most will never even think about shooting one that size. We are spoiled in AZ.

Later,

recurveman

It all depends on your determination and goals. On my first hunt, that would probably be my lower range to shoot at. If it is one of the 5 units, then I'd try to hold out depending on how long you can hunt.

Mike

i say yes he is a shooter, not a monster, but a shooter.

i would give him one more year. let him grow more mass and grow out those swords. still a good bull

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" If you really like the bull, shoot it!!! Don't care what other people think, they (myself included) are all jealous of your tag anyway and it's a whole lot easier to Talk the Talk, rather than Walk the Walk!!! When that particular bull comes crashin' in on top of you, screamin' and growling the whole way, he's gonna look twice as big and your adrenaline will skyrocket! If that happens, shoot em' and enjoy that memory for the rest of your life, there's nothing better!!! Best of luck on your tag, shoot what you like and savor every last minute you have with that tag in your pocket! JIM>