Sign in to follow this  
JLW

chiggers in az?

I'm sure some hunters on here hunt Mt. Ord.

we seem to have a re occuring problem when we go there.

every time we go even if we just stop off to glass we end up with itchy bites or rash.

this weekend was no different!

while i think i may have come in contact with a poisonous plant around young...

as i have blisters in some areas but other areas seem to be bites?

does anyone on here get this at mt. ord?

i have attached a pdf about chiggers wich i thought did not exist here in az......

this being a big rainy season in areas we are hunting with lots of high grass maybe we are getting chigger bites?

i seem to wonder how a poisonous plant can go through your boots and socks.

but chigger bites... just like i remember in Ohio behind the knees, sock line, waste line arm pit

Yea this SUCKS!!!!!

i can't wait for next weekend.

james

Funny you should post this now...I just had this discussion with my husband yesterday and saw that same PDF about chiggers. He ended up with an itchy rash around his ankles after a birding trip at Top of the World and then later the Pinals. He thought it was poison ivy at first, but it's pretty much only UNDER his sockline, which I have never seen poison ivy do. Usually poison ivy is only on exposed skin. So I was wondering if he actually got bit by chiggers....no way to know for sure, but I am suspecting it. Maybe all the extra rain this year made them more numerous?

Yes it's probably chiggers, my wife always gets eaten up by them this time of year when archery hunting around Young. last year over 200 bites !!! she was a real mess. They tend to bite anywhere your clothing is tight, Like top of socks, belt line ect.

is there also poison sumac?

and where does it like to grow?

james

We raise them (chiggers) and dump them out by the bucket load all over central AZ... just make the Desert Rats head back south, with a bad memory of their trip!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Stay off our Mountain!!! LMAO!!! :P

We raise them (chiggers) and dump them out by the bucket load all over central AZ... just make the Desert Rats head back south, with a bad memory of their trip!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Stay off our Mountain!!! LMAO!!! :P

i'll be back

you also seem to put out alot of blacktail rattlers and black rattlers but we keep stoning them :lol: :lol:

james

I know this sounds weird but what I found that works the best for chiggers is cover each bite with a little of the wife's finger nail polish and it will go away pretty quick and it takes away the itch. I got em bad last year fishing the black river.

Funny you should post this now...I just had this discussion with my husband yesterday and saw that same PDF about chiggers. He ended up with an itchy rash around his ankles after a birding trip at Top of the World and then later the Pinals. He thought it was poison ivy at first, but it's pretty much only UNDER his sockline, which I have never seen poison ivy do. Usually poison ivy is only on exposed skin. So I was wondering if he actually got bit by chiggers....no way to know for sure, but I am suspecting it. Maybe all the extra rain this year made them more numerous?

I can verify that the author of the PDF knows what she is talking about, I was working with her when we ran into them. I do not know if you can get it any more, but I used to use Calidryl lotion. It is a combination of calamine lotion and benedryl to relieve the itching.

Gino, I'll take your chiggers any day over crappy drivers, drunk drivers and the just plain stupid people we have down here. :lol: :lol:

Many years ago, while hunting bear off of Mt Ore, I decided to curl up under a pine tree and sleep the day by while waiting on the evening glassing hour to come. The next day I was covered from head to my feet. Over a thousand I would say. Called poison control and found out that Az does have chiggers. Never knew Gino had anything to do with that. :angry:

TJ ;)