Sign in to follow this  
JLW

chiggers in az?

I have a picture of a hunting buddy that was taken 30 yrs ago in the Chiricuhua Mnts. Everytime I see it, I remember back when and laugh because you can see 10-15 red dots (finger nail polish) on his legs.

What we found out then was to rub Muskol (100% Deet) on you where your sock would be BEFORE you put your sock on. Didn't guarantee you wouldn't get bit, but we only got bit a few times then. Of course, you can't buy 100% Deet anymore. They say its bad for your health.

Chiggers...bad for your health...Chiggers...bad for your health. I'll take my chances and breakout the Muskol I still have.

There are lots of chiggers in soaz. Spray deet on your boots, legs, and pants highter than the grass is. Or anything that touches the grass or ground. I spray the ground inside of my blind. Deep woods off is supposed to be sent free. Nasty little buggers.

We raise them (chiggers) and dump them out by the bucket load all over central AZ... just make the Desert Rats head back south, with a bad memory of their trip!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Stay off our Mountain!!! LMAO!!! :P

Me too LOL

Probably shoulda kept my dam mouth shut... <_< .... got me a dozen bits this weekend from the knees down... Had my Bride painting my bites with nail polish hope it works.... :rolleyes: :lol:

Dam you guys for bringing this subject up. Now I have them on my legs, around my waist, and a few places I won't mention. :angry:

TJ

when they bite me, they die. same with rattlers. you guys just need to be tougher.

years ago a friend of mine and his family went back east of vacation and they all got covered with chiggers. liked to killed em. on the way home they went swimmin' in the great salt lake. he said when they got out, no chiggers. maybe a bath tub fulla real salty water might work? or a mineral spring. but i ain't never had em. Lark.

when did they start showing up here? i've been all over the southwest and especially Az and have never encountered them. are they real live chiggers or some other bug? from everything i've ever heard about chiggers is that it needs to be real humid and warm and they live in thick stuff. did they migrate here from the east? bill, i wonder if they are "eastern" chiggers? :lol: :lol: :lol: . i am just too funny. but really, where did they come from? aren't chiggers tick or flea larvae or some deal? :lol: Lark.

We used to go stay at a cabin up on Mt. Ord a few times a year to do maintence or just screw around and shoot some pistols. Every time we would come back home with bites all over the place.

I'd definatly stay off of Mt. Ord, nothing there you want to chase, and last I heard the Mogollon Monster had moved to Mt. Ord after too many people started looking for it near Chevelon Lake. Or I guess it could just be the 1st lady on vacation again.

Ok this sounds crazy but for itch relief from chiggers the best relief I've found is bath as hot as you can stand wash legs with soap. Get out dry off and rub your legs down with listerine

this is some bull!

again i got munched up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

this time 24b in the eastern superstition wilderness!

the 1st batch was almost gone dang!

james