Sign in to follow this  
MangeyJoe

Ammunition

I'm looking for great, high quality (straight shooting)ammo in .270win. I usually by the cheapest like remington and winchester ammo. What would you guys recommend?

Need to try different brands and bullets to see what groups best and also match it with the game animal in mind. My .270Win. shoots the Federal Premium well. I use the 150 gr. Nosler partition.

Kinda depends on what you are hunting and how far you need it to work. I like factory rem corelokts for close stuff. They are cheap and work well. Far stuff I like accubonds in the .30 cal. I like heavy bullets because they buck the wind. Some guys like lighter bullets. I like a bonded bullet for shooting super fast because it wont vaporize meat. Federal loads all type of bullets. The closer you are to your target the less important bullet choice is, I think, for big game anyways.

There are so many good bullets on the market these days. I agree with figuring out which your gun likes the best. I have had good luck with Fusion 130gr. in a .270win

It's for my remington 700 .270 Win... I went shooting on tuesday and noticed that I really need better ammo because I didn't have the best patterns

my 30.06 really woke up when I changed from core-lok to horniday ammo. I was like you, all over the paper. With the premium ammo, I was able to be dead on at 200 even shooting freehand.

my 30.06 really woke up when I changed from core-lok to horniday ammo. I was like you, all over the paper. With the premium ammo, I was able to be dead on at 200 even shooting freehand.

I like Hornady interbonds. My 7mag shoots them really well.

My gun groups Hornady the best. For deer I am shooting the 130 gr interbonds. Your best bet is to follow everyone's advice and shoot a bunch of the premium ammo and see what your gun groups the best.

I have found the cheapest most accurate ammo can be found in my garage.

HUGE +1

The best ammo you will ever find with be the stuff that is custom tailored to your rifle. Even with some sub par powder and primer I get factory worthy loads out of my guns when you load em right.

With that being said, Federal has always been my go to "oh crap! I forgot my ammo back in the valley!" ammo

I've noticed when shooting my rifle out here you can say good bye to good tight groups if its 100 degrees outside when you are shooting quite a few rounds. Maybe its just me but that seems to be the way it is. I'm sighting my rifle in as early in the morning as I can here but this weekend I'll be heading to Happy Jack where its nice and cool. Good luck with your ammo selection as well. Hornady is a great brand I use it for everyone of my guns. I've shot cheap Feds and stepped to Rems then went to Hornady shoot them all with a buddies Chronograph and saw increases in speed and accuracy with each step.

When sighting in ill use cheaper ammo once im on paper Ill shoot hornady big differnece it shoots super fast and straight in my ruger m77 .270 WIN

That's the exact same rifle I'm shooting. It liked the Hornady better than the Federal Premium and the 130 gr interbonds have a higher ballistic coefficient than everything except the Berger, if I remember correctly.

I've noticed when shooting my rifle out here you can say good bye to good tight groups if its 100 degrees outside when you are shooting quite a few rounds. Maybe its just me but that seems to be the way it is. I'm sighting my rifle in as early in the morning as I can here but this weekend I'll be heading to Happy Jack where its nice and cool. Good luck with your ammo selection as well. Hornady is a great brand I use it for everyone of my guns. I've shot cheap Feds and stepped to Rems then went to Hornady shoot them all with a buddies Chronograph and saw increases in speed and accuracy with each step.

I'm sure you've heard the term "cold bore" shots. I have an old 30-06 that was my grandfathers when he was younger and i'm sure the barrel is about shot out. But the more you shoot the thing the larger the pattern it throws. Yes, after about twelve shots or so in a short time it no longer groups, it patterns. But let 'er cool down and it will be dead on every time. Craziest gun I've ever owned. :lol: